United Way of Calgary and Area is the largest non-government source of funding for human care and community support programs in Calgary and Area. United Way works with its community partners to build sustainable solutions for the future, while providing services today to improve the lives of people when they need it most.
United Way of Calgary and Area is looking for a full-time Research and Policy Associate. This position reports to the Director and the Strategy Lead of The Calgary Children's Initiative (CCI) and works directly with CCI Associates, staff and community partners to provide direction and support to The Calgary Children's Initiative in the area of policy change. Responsibilities include:
- Support for the development of strategic research directions
- Providing data, research and analysis of information required to support all research and policy initiatives of CCI
- Support for Task Forces and Resource Groups on research and policy issues
- Providing research and policy support and directions to CCI Associates
- Support for community collaborative efforts on research and policy development
- Working collaboratively with communication staff and volunteers to ensure the effective communication of CCI's policy approaches to partners, funders and external audiences
- Monitoring emerging policy and proposed legislation to identify key issues and areas of opportunity within the political agenda
- Representing the CCI at various community meetings as an expert resource
- Support for special events, projects and other activities as required
- A graduate degree (Masters or Phd ) in human services (e.g. Education, social sciences, community development, health promotion) or a relevant discipline [e.g. policy studies, political science]
- The ability to research and analyze identified priority strategies
- Experience in formulating, developing and implementing social policy
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Experience and strength in working in a team environment yet comfort and able to work independently
- Successful experience facilitating volunteers and committee work
- Strong skills in handling people, multiple tasks and working styles
- Computer proficiency (word, Microsoft, etc.)
- Access to vehicle for travel to community events, meetings
United Way offers a competitive salary and benefits package. We are an equal opportunity employer. Visit our website at http://www.calgaryunitedway.org.
For consideration please reply by email, no later than 4 p.m. on October 17, 2008 quoting File # 38 to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position, however, only those being considered will be contacted.