Internal and External Posting
Job ID # LGB 08-1137
Part Time Contract (3 days per week for 3 months)
Sherbourne Health Centre (SHC) is a free-standing health centre funded by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care. The Centre provides innovative Primary Health Care to all the diverse populations of southeast Toronto with special focus on homeless people, the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transsexual and transgender communities, and newcomers to Canada.
We are presently looking for a Part Time Administrative Assistant to work with the LGBTQ Parenting Network for a 3-month period. The LGBTQ Parenting Network provides resources, information and support to lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and queer parents, prospective parents and their families. Reporting to the Coordinator of the Parenting Network, the Administrative Assistant will assist with some key program areas. These will include but not be limited to the following:
- Drafting various communications, including writing and distribution of regular e-newsletter
- Updating the LGBTQ Parenting Network's website, including researching and writing responses to FAQ's
- Responding to phone and e-mail inquiries to the LGBTQ Parenting Network
- Assisting with planning and coordinating various events as required
- Assisting in the development of new resources i.e. brochures, information sheets
- Cataloguing existing collection of articles and resources on LGBTQ Parenting Resources
- Providing administrative and organizational support to on-going support groups for specific sub-communities
- Assisting with community dissemination of research findings from a range of LGBTQ parenting-related research projects
- College diploma or university degree in social sciences, social services, humanities, communications or equivalent
- 3 to 5 years of program and/or administrative experience, preferably in a non-profit setting
- Membership in or familiarity with Toronto's diverse LGBTQ communities, and a strong interest in and/or experience with parenting issues in LGBTQ communities
- Demonstrated experience coordinating and planning community events
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with other team members as well as ability to work independently
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Effective time management skills with an ability to appropriately prioritize tasks
- Proficient knowledge and skills in MS Office Suite and e-mail. More advanced computer skills an asset.
As an employer, Sherbourne Health Centre is dedicated to building an organization that reflects the diversity of our clients and the communities we serve. This includes diversity in languages spoken, culture, race, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Application: If you are interested in this position, please forward a cover letter and resume quoting Job ID # LGB 08-1137 by December 1, 2008, via one of the methods below:
Mail or Drop - off
Sherbourne Health Centre
333 Sherbourne Street
Toronto ON M5A 2S5
Visit our website at http://www.sherbourne.on.ca.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.