The following websites have information and resources on HIV/AIDS in Africa. Some feature advocacy platforms and initiatives and some have specific resources on grandmothers and older people and AIDS.
The Stephen Lewis Foundation was founded in 2003 to support community-based organizations that are turning the tide of HIV/AIDS in Africa: http://www.stephenlewisfoundation.org.
The Grandmothers to Grandmothers Campaign seeks to build solidarity, raise awareness and mobilize support in Canada for Africa's grandmothers. The website includes information on events, how to get involved and a section on advocacy that outlines how advocacy works, advocacy examples, issues, key documents and resources: http://www.grandmotherscampaign.org.
Since its inception in 1958, AARP, a 39 million member non-governmental association, has served as a respected source of information and advocacy on issues affecting aging populations worldwide: http://www.aarpinternational.org.
The Canadian HIV/AIDS Legal Network promotes the human rights of people living with and vulnerable to HIV/AIDS, in Canada and internationally, through research, legal and policy analysis, education, and community mobilization. The Legal Network is Canada's leading advocacy organization working on the legal and human rights issues raised by HIV/AIDS: http://www.aidslaw.ca.
DATA--debt AIDS trade Africa is an advocacy organization dedicated to eradicating extreme poverty and AIDS in Africa: http://www.data.org.
Doctors Without Borders - Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) has a Campaign for Access to Essential Medicines: http:://www.accessmed-msf.org.
Developed by the Global Citizens for Change Ensuring Access - What you can do to improve access to HIV/AIDS medicines is a mobilization kit. It can be accessed at
Federal government resources are available from Health Canada at http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dc-ma/aids-sida/index_e.html. The Public Health Agency of Canada's Federal AIDS Strategy includes public engagement (click on "Global Engagement" at the right) at http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/aids-sida/fi-if/index.html.
Other websites include
- HelpAge International at http://www.helpage.org (click on Research and policy and HIV/AIDS)
- Interagency Coalition on AIDS and Development at http://www.icad-cisd.com
- International Federation Aging at http://www.ifa-fiv.org
- Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (GFATM) at http://www.theglobalfund.org
- Global Treatment Access Group (GTAG) at http://www.aidslaw.ca (click on Issues and GTAG)
- Make Poverty History (MPH) at http://www.makepovertyhistory.ca
- RESULTS Canada at http://www.results-resultats.ca
- UNAIDS at http://www.unaids.org
- UNICEF at http://www.unicef.org
- World Health Organization (WHO) at http://www.who.int/topics/hiv_aids/en/ and http://www.who.int/topics/ageing/en/
- World Vision at https://www.worldvision.ca (click on Education and Justice)