Full-Time Temporary: January 2009 to March 31, 2010
Reporting to the Director, Women's Health Partnerships and working closely with the Communications Department team, the Health Writer is responsible for the development of health content for the Women's College Hospital web properties and e-bulletins: womenscollege.ca; womenshealthmatters.ca and womensresearch.ca. These websites are key initiatives of Women's College Hospital's overall mission to be a leader in women's health.
The Health Writer develops, writes and edits original and repurposed content for the websites and ensures that the sites are regularly updated. The Health Writer works with the Web Content Coordinator to ensure the timely addition of information to the websites.
- Develops, writes, adapts and edits women's health information for the Women's College Hospital websites and e-bulletin(s), adhering to tight deadlines.
- Verifies information to ensure accuracy.
- Ensures continuity among the three websites.
- Assists in uploading new information to the websites using HTML and website templates.
- Develops and implements plans for ongoing content addition to the sites.
- Works with Hospital health professionals to develop new content.
- Edits work of freelance writers and assigns stories/coverage, working within freelance budget.
- Conducts interviews with women's health professionals as required.
- Attends women's health events and conferences as a source of content for the websites.
- Keeps abreast of new Hospital developments that might have an impact on the addition of new information to the websites.
- Keeps current with other women's health websites and women's health publications and with women's health issues.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience writing for consumer and professional audiences and for the web.
- Ability to prioritize and work to deadlines.
- Initiative and tact in dealing with potentially contentious health-care issues.
- Individual must be able to work independently and as a team member. Must be self-motivated and have good problem solving skills and excellent organizational skills.
- Working knowledge of Web architecture and design.
- Experience in a hospital or health care environment.
- Knowledge of women's health issues.
Special skills or competencies:
- Experience translating complex medical information for a consumer audience.
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office Suite, HTML, Photoshop.
- Strong editing, writing, proofreading and copy-editing skills.
BA/BSc or Community College diploma in Marketing, Communications, Journalism or a related field. Health journalism background preferred.
Minimum five years related work experience writing and editing health information for consumer and professional audiences.
Candidates invited for an interview will be asked to provide a portfolio of recent health-related articles.
Deadline: December 15, 2008
To apply for this job please send resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone enquiries please.