Program Training and Consultation Centre, Media Network for a Smoke-free Ontario, Population Health Unit, Prevention and Screening, Cco
Position: Team Leader, Media Network
Location: Provincial Office, Toronto, Ontario
Employment Status: Permanent Full-time
The Team Leader works as a member of the Media Network for a Smoke-Free Ontario http://www.ptcc-cfc.on.ca/english/Media-Network within Cancer Care Ontario's Population Health Unit to support the Smoke-Free Ontario Strategy. The Media Network comprises over 800 individuals working or volunteering in the tobacco control community. The Team Leader is responsible for the timely dissemination of analysis and information and the sharing of knowledge about tobacco control and tobacco issues within the Media Network.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Consults with the members of the Media Network to inform, share knowledge and support the communication and media work of the membership.
- Supports various tobacco control clients in their efforts in media advocacy and other health communications.
- Advises the Program Training and Consultation Centre and the tobacco control community about media issues and develops courses of action. Contributes to strategic direction for Media Network activities.
- Prepares press material templates (e.g., swiss-cheese press releases, media advisories, letters to the editor and op-eds) for use by Media Network members, and provides editorial assistance to members.
- Tracks tobacco control media trends and issues through news tracking databases, internal and external resources/documents, websites, listservs and membership.
- Analyzes news information in terms of implications for tobacco control, synthesizes key messages into useable formats, and disseminates relevant information in a variety of ways (i.e. print, online etc.) to the membership, using tactics to guide the membership in concerted efforts to achieve policy change. This might involve production of reports on priority tobacco control issues with key messages, as well as FAQs and backgrounders.
- Explores potential for developing a Community of Practice for tobacco control practitioners working in communications and media.
- Masters degree in public health and/or social work, journalism, communications, psychology and at least three years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum two years experience in policy analysis and grassroots community organizing, work with the media
- Knowledge of and demonstrated commitment to tobacco control
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, experience developing press materials (e.g., swiss-cheese press releases, media advisories, letters to the editor and op-eds) and interacting with the media
- Strong critical and analytical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Team leadership experience
- Demonstrated experience in project management and planning
- Superior organizational skills and demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects
- Ability to analyze and interpret news tracking databases for planning purposes
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain news media relationships
- Tact and diplomacy in handling confidential information and dealing with a variety of stakeholders
- Must be able to occasionally travel within Ontario, sometimes overnight
- Cultural sensitivity and competency; ability to speak and understand French preferred
- Computer literacy (including internet communication tools and search skills with proficiency using Microsoft Office)
- Excellent interpersonal, including oral and written communication skills
We prefer to receive applications online. Please apply online at http://www.cancercare.on.ca.
We thank all those who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. We are an equal opportunity employer.