Closing Date: Friday January 30, 2009
Location: Toronto. Travel throughout Ontario is required.
For over 20 years Health Nexus (formerly the Ontario Prevention Clearinghouse) has been enabling communities to promote health in Ontario and beyond. At little or no cost, we help organizations and individuals develop and implement prevention and health promotion strategies, which aim to enhance well-being and reduce demand on the health care and social service systems. Our three strategic areas of focus are: early child development, chronic disease prevention and health equity (inclusion). At Health Nexus, we envision a future where health inequities are reduced and the health of our communities is improved through collective commitment, action and innovation.
Health Nexus seeks an Aboriginal Health Promotion Consultant for 4 days a week for a period of 21 months. The successful applicant will work with the Best Start Resource Centre, a key program of Health Nexus, and will focus primarily on specific strategies to prevent child obesity in First Nation, Métis and Inuit populations in Ontario. Best Start Resource Centre provides health promotion training, consultation and information services to Ontario service providers who promote preconception, prenatal and child health.
- Work with Aboriginal people across Ontario to research and write a toolkit on prevention of obesity in Aboriginal children aged 2-6 years
- Develop and present training sessions about prevention of Aboriginal child obesity.
- Evaluate activities and develop reports
- Work in collaboration with key Aboriginal organizations, advisory group and key informants
- Establish and maintain partnerships and initiatives with various local, provincial and national organizations and health promotional professionals
- Experience in working on Aboriginal health initiatives and understanding of factors affecting Aboriginal health
- Understanding of cultural protocols and expectations in working with Aboriginal organizations and individuals
- University degree in health promotion, physical activity, nutrition or other related field and/or related experience
- Knowledge and understanding of factors related to the prevention of child obesity including determinants of health, nutrition and physical activity
- Understanding of strength-based and holistic approaches to health
- Ability to work independently and as a team
- Computer literacy in word processing, database, email and internet/intranet systems
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Strong project management skills
- Experience in developing and facilitating training sessions
- Excellent communication & interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with a diversity of people and groups and to build consensus
Please submit a letter of interest and resume, in confidence to:
Human Resources, Health Nexus
180 Dundas Street West, Suite 1900
Toronto, ON M5G 1Z8
Fax: (416) 408-2122
Please see our websites for more information (http://www.healthnexus.ca, http://www.beststart.org).
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Health Nexus is an equal opportunity employer.