Region of Peel, comprised of Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon, is a dynamic blend of rural/urban, industrial and residential areas. We are one of Ontario's fastest growing municipalities, delivering a wide range of municipal services to over 1,000,000 residents. Peel Region is the first government in Canada to achieve the National Quality Institute's prestigious Canada Awards for Excellence.
Are you a forward-thinking nurse who thrives on new challenges and appreciates working in a progressive environment where innovation, teamwork, effective communication, respect and integrity help guide quality client service? If so, consider this exciting temporary opportunity in Peel Health's Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention division.
Public Health Nurse, School Program (PHN#09-05)
Hours of work: (8: 30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday)
Temporary full-time: approximately thirteen (12) months
The School Health program requires creative, self-starting and persuasive leaders who can build and maintain strong relationships in order to coordinate a range of Public Health initiatives in a group of schools across Peel. The individuals work in a self-directed manner within a collaborative team environment to promote and deliver services under Peel Health's Comprehensive School Health model.
Key responsibilities include:
- Promoting and coordinating existing health programs for school-age children, primarily in the school setting.
- Facilitating relationships between the Public Health Department, schools, parents and the community.
- Participating in the development and implementation of initiatives to address identified needs in the community e.g. bullying prevention, increased physical activity, healthy relationships.
Examples of job activities (corresponding to the responsibilities listed above) may include:
- Making presentations to superintendents, principals and other groups to outline and promote Peel Health offerings to schools.
- Building and maintaining networks of cooperation to help identify and address the health needs of Peel's school-age children.
- Identifying gaps in service and unique opportunities for program growth, and recommending and/or developing creative solutions to address challenging audience needs.
Interested candidates should possess:
- Demonstrated skill in organizing programs and services for children and youth within schools and their communities.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated skill in the areas of health promotion, community development and project management.
- Ability to persuasively communicate complex health messages and information in everyday language in both spoken and written forms.
- Strong organizational, assessment, planning, facilitation, problem solving, presentation and evaluation skills.
- Strong computer skills in MS Outlook, Word and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of and skill in working with Peel's diverse community.
It should be noted that this position does not typically involve direct delivery of service to children.
- a Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing or equivalency as recognized by a Canadian University
- a current certificate of competence as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- recent experience in public health (preferred).
There is more to a career at Peel; we also offer
- an hourly rate range from $33.45 - $40.10
- training and development
- an employee assistance program (EAP)
- Workplace Safety and Insurance Board coverage (WSIB)
- a healthy workplace
- a family orientated environment and
- a workplace where your feedback is important to us.
Who we are - The Region of Peel, the area just west of Toronto that includes Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon, is a dynamic rural/urban blend of cultures, industries and communities. We are one of Ontario's fastest growing municipalities, delivering a wide range of municipal services to over one million residents and a thriving business community.
To apply, please visit us at http://www.peelregion.ca/jobs. Click on current listings and Public Health Nurse, School Program (PHN#09-05). You will be invited to complete a questionnaire on your related experience and education. The position is located in Brampton and it closes on February 18, 2009.
The Region of Peel, an equal opportunity employer, appreciates all responses; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.