The Region of Peel, comprised of Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon, is a dynamic blend of rural/urban, industrial and residential areas. We are one of Ontario's fastest growing municipalities, delivering a wide range of municipal services to over 1,000,000 residents. Peel Region is the first government in Canada to achieve the National Quality Institute's prestigious Canada Awards for Excellence.
If you are a forward-thinking nurse seeking new challenges with an award-winning and progressive organization that values a supportive and respectful environment, teamwork, effective communication, integrity and quality service, consider this temporary full-time opportunity within our Communicable Diseases Division of the Peel Health Department.
Public Health Nurse - Immunization Services & Contact Centre (Phn#09-01)
Temporary full-time (Monday - Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm)
Duration: approximately twelve (12) months
The Communicable Disease Control section requires self-directed, enthusiastic individuals to work within the Immunization Clinics team environment to deliver services in accordance with Vaccine Preventable Disease Standards.
Key responsibilities include:
1. Developing health promotion support materials related to immunization.
2. Providing educational support to the casual nursing staff.
3. Researching and maintaining the references and resources available for the public and health colleagues
4. Providing information, education and referral related to communicable diseases, immunizations and sexually transmitted infections while answering calls received at the Communicable Disease Divisional Contact Centre.
5. Providing clinical nursing skills including immunizations as required.
Examples of job activities (corresponding to the responsibilities listed above) may include:
1. Developing brochures and pamphlets related to immunization.
2. Providing educational sessions/presentations to colleagues, parents, health care professionals or the general public.
3. Providing coverage of the Communicable Disease Divisional Contact Centre as required.
4. Delivering immunization services to clients at our Routine Immunization Clinic.
Interested candidates should possess:
- Knowledge of current recommended immunization schedules for Ontario
- Knowledge of vaccine safety and handling
- Experience administering immunizing agents
- Knowledge of infection control practices
- Knowledge of the College of Nurses' Practice Standards and best practices
- Strong assessment, leadership, organizational and planning skills
- An understanding of health promotion and community development principles
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written, in person and via the telephone
- Strong computer skills in MS Outlook and Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Knowledge of Peel's diverse community
- Knowledge and understanding of local healthcare system
- a Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing or equivalency as recognized by a Canadian University
- a current certificate of competence as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- recent experience in public health (preferred).
There is more to a career at Peel; we also offer
- an hourly rate range from $33.45 - $40.10
- training and development
- an employee assistance program (EAP)
- Workplace Safety and Insurance Board coverage (WSIB)
- a healthy workplace
- a family orientated environment and
- a workplace where your feedback is important to us.
To apply, please visit us at http://www.peelregion.ca/jobs. Click on current listings and Public Health Nurse, Immunization Services & Call Centre (PHN#09-01). You will be invited to complete a questionnaire on your related experience and education. The position is located at 44 Peel Centre Drive in Brampton and it closes on February 26, 2009.
The Region of Peel, an equal opportunity employer, appreciates all responses; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.