The Centre for Urban Health Initiatives (CUHI), along wit the Mark S. Bonham Centre for Sexual Diversity Studies, the LaMarsh Centre for Research on Violence and Conflict Resolution, the York Institute for Health Research and the Centre for Urban Schooling invites you to submit an abstract for presentation at the 2009 Student Symposium on Urban Youth and the Determinants of Sexual Health. This is a free symposium that will be held on Thursday, March 26, 2009 and invites anyone interested in youth sexual health to attend. The goal of the symposium is to bring together university students to share their research and artistic pieces on youth sexual health and to engage and network with other students, academics, policy makers, and community members involved or interested in Urban Youth and the Determinants of Sexual Health. Students are encouraged to use this symposium as an opportunity to present research "in progress," test out ideas for a thesis or dissertation proposal, or present original research or artistic pieces.
Projects that are selected for the Student Symposium will be promoted on the CUHI website. A total of three awards will be granted to students in categories of poster, oral, and artistic presentations.
The abstracts may be research-focused or artistically-focused (ie. film, photography, theatre, music, spoken word, etc.) on any of the following areas:
- HIV/AIDS prevention, sexual health and harm reduction
- Intersectional approaches to equity and the social determinants of adolescent sexual health
- Exploring the impact of sexual diversity on health
- Improving youth access to sexual health services and education
- Participatory methodologies that promote youth involvement, leadership and community development
- Leveraging youth media for sexual health promotion
The final deadline for abstract submissions is Wednesday, February 25, 2009. Abstracts submitted by this date will be considered for poster, oral, or artistic presentation.