Terms of Employment: March 2009 to March 2010 (with possibility of renewal
14 hours/2 days per week
Hourly wage of $22 - 25 plus 4% in lieu of benefits
Deadline: March 6, 2009 at 4:30 p.m.
Location: Downtown Toronto
This is an exciting, flexible part-time opportunity. As Communications Officer, you will highlight the health and inclusion issues of women who experience marginalization throughout the Province of Ontario.
Background of OWHN
Since 1997, the Ontario Women's Health Network/Le Reseau ontarien pour la santè des femmes has worked with women, service and care providers, local groups, health practitioners, and other organizations in Ontario to share research, information and resources on issues related to women's health. The OWHN has an emphasis on community-based research, and in particular inclusion research.
We embrace a view of health that includes not only women's physical resources, but also the social determinants of health: the economic, social and environmental conditions of women's lives. Our feminist organization is structured around a strong set of values and principles which can be viewed on our website http://www.owhn.on.ca.
- To inform the community and raise the profile about marginalized women's health issues including issues of inclusion in accessible and plain language.
- To work with Provincial Director to:
- Produce an accessible weekly E-Digest which explores the vast topic of women's health for our listserv with a focus on health equity.
- Produce 4 quarterly E-Bulletins which focus on issues related to marginalized women, health and inclusion, emphasizing the social determinants of health.
- Manage the electronic subscriptions for the E-Digest and E-Bulletin.
- Manage postings to the listserv and expand listserv membership
- Solicit and coordinate written material from our network members and partners to be used in the quarterly E-Bulletin and E-Digests.
- Connect with community women's organizations throughout the province to maintain and update online database
- Write press releases to respond to current women's health issues.
- Support the OWHN team with written communication and projects.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in writing for an on-line and paper audience.
- Demonstrated understanding of writing for a diverse audience.
- Strong understanding of women's health issues and the social determinants of health within the current social, economic and political context
- Knowledge or willingness to learn about inclusion
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- Listserv and database experience
- Proficiency in English
- Ability to write and speak French an asset
- Ability to work independently and with a team
All interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to:
OWHN Hiring Committee
Ontario Women's Health Network
180 Dundas Street West, Suite 1900
Toronto, ON M5G 1Z9
Fax: (416) 408-2122
Deadline: March 6, 2009 at 4:30 pm
The Ontario Women's Health Network is an equal opportunity employer. Applications from women of colour and First Nations women strongly encouraged. Only individuals considered for an interview will be contacted.