Grid Level 451-500 (CUPE Local 543.3)
12 Week Contract
Reporting to the Manager of Epidemiology, the Research Assistant will work with the Epidemiologist to assist with management of large health datasets particularly those related to chronic disease.
Day-to-day activities will include:
- Provide public health database management and descriptive analytic support, specifically reviewing and clean public health datasets
- Conduct literature searches and provide summaries of findings from literature as part of preliminary planning for new public health research activities and directions
- Participate in various conference calls and meetings for defined epidemiological projects potentially providing synopses of meeting discussion or action items
- Draft reports and slide presentations
- Support Epidemiology Team in conferring with other government agencies, extramural researchers and the broader scientific community on future projects, policy, and general research.
- A minimum of a Bachelor of Science or Arts or degree in Health Sciences or Applied Social Sciences or equivalent degree from an accredited university
- Graduate student in epidemiology, statistics, health economics or information systems is preferred
- Status as a student, registered full-time at a university and returning to school full-time in the fall
- Knowledge and experience using various electronic software systems; scientific background is ideal
- Experience analyzing data and interpreting results of analyses using SPSS and/or STATA and/or SAS.
- Experience writing and editing documents
- Experience in a multi-tasking environment; specifically working in a timely manner on multiple projects in varying stages with several points of contact
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, organizational, and communication skills are required
- A valid Ontario Driver's Licence and access to a reliable motor vehicle during working hours is required.
Qualified individuals are invited to forward a résumé and cover letter by March 31, 2009, to
Nancy Smith, HRO
Windsor-Essex County Health Unit
1005 Ouellette Avenue
Windsor, ON N9A 4J8
Fax: (519) 258-6003
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.