The Region of Peel, comprised of Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon, is a dynamic blend of urban, industrial and residential areas. We are one of Ontario's fastest growing municipalities, delivering a wide range of public health services to over 1,000,000 residents. Peel Region is the first government in Canada to achieve the National Quality Institute's prestigious Canada Awards for Excellence.
If you are a forward-thinking dietitian striving for excellence and seeking new challenges with an award-winning and progressive organization that values a supportive and respectful environment, teamwork, effective communication, integrity and quality service, consider this regular full-time opportunity at Peel Health Services within our Family Health Division.
Dietitian, Public Health - Child Health (File #09-148)
As a key member of the Family Health multidisciplinary team, you will provide input into the planning and implementation of a broad range of health promotion strategies to promote positive parenting and optimal growth and development for children 0- 6 years old in our Peel community. Specifically, you will provide nutrition information and support to the teams in Family Health including Public Health Nurses and Family Visitors. You will support programs and strategies that prevent childhood obesity and promote healthy eating and physical activity for children 0-6 years of age. Providing community displays and education and training sessions on healthy eating to various community groups and stakeholders will be a key responsibility. You will participate in the development and review of nutrition, feeding, physical activity and body image resources for parents and professionals. You will participate in developing position statements pertaining to nutrition that Peel Health distributes to the community. You will provide counseling to parents of young children with questions about feeding and nutrition when necessary.
If you possess:
- a Bachelor of Science Degree specializing in food and nutrition or equivalent
- completion of an accredited dietetic internship
- current general registration in good standing with the College of Dietitians of Ontario
- a minimum 1 year experience in community or public health nutrition
- excellent communications (both verbal and written) and organizational skills
- exceptional customer service orientation to deal with diverse clients including Early Childhood Education specialists, community agencies and groups
- computer skills, including MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- knowledge of health promotion strategies and theories
- demonstrated ability and interest in working effectively in a multi-disciplinary team
- knowledge of the Region of Peel (asset)
- an ability to travel to various regional locations and work some evenings/weekends, we would like to hear from you.
There is more to a career at Peel; we also offer
- a salary range from $56,797 - $70,996
- pay for performance plan
- a comprehensive benefit package
- a pension plan (Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System-OMERS)
- a high tech environment
- tuition assistance
- mentoring and coaching
- training and development
- a family orientated environment
- a healthy workplace
- direct links to management and
- a workplace where your feedback is important to us.
To pursue this challenging opportunity, please submit your application online to http://www.peelregion.ca/jobs and select Dietitian, Public Health - Child Health (File #09-148). The position is located at 44 Peel Centre Drive in Brampton and it closes on April 1, 2009.
At the Region of Peel, we respect diversity and treat one another in ways that are fair, courteous and compassionate, recognizing everyone's contributions. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Foreign earned credentials may need to be assessed in order to determine Canadian equivalency. Please visit the Canadian Foreign Credentials Referral Office's website for further details. Service Canada also provides information regarding referral services toll-free at 1-888-854-1805.