Position: Community Mission Specialist
Reports to: Manager, Community Mission Team
Department: Research Advocacy and Health Promotion
Status: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Hamilton (supporting Hamilton/Niagara/Brant, Haldimand, Norfolk/Halton)
As part of the Community Mission Team, the incumbent will be assigned to the Hamilton area , supported by leadership volunteers, deliver and support activities to engage communities for community impact on mission. The incumbent will develop and implement an annual regional plan that reflects a province wide community based mission plan and responds to regional and local needs and priorities.
Monitor regional needs and develop annual regional plan
- Complete an environmental scan and monitor, on a continuing basis, key health partnerships, their current priorities and programs (Hearth Health Networks, Tobacco Control Action Networks, School Health, Blood Pressure Control) in their assigned region.
- Develop an annual mission plan for region with input from Regional Manager and Senior Specialist Health Partnerships. Initial key focus will be Spark Together for Health Kids and Resuscitation.
- Complete annual evaluation of progress against plan.
Contribute regional perspective to provincial plans
- As part of the Community Mission Team provide input on the development of a community based strategy to inform regional and provincial goals and plans.
Manage regional and local delivery of mission initiatives
- Provide leadership and influence health partners and volunteers concerning local advocacy efforts.
Volunteer recruitment and support
- With the assistance of the Community Volunteer Specialist and in consultation with Area Managers, recruit and guide community mission leadership volunteers
Coordinate with other HSFO Programs
- Working within fundraising environment to provide information to Foundation fundraisers, inform vis-à-vis community mission activity and pertinent mission priorities
- Demonstrates Interpersonal Savvy through proven and effective communication with a variety of different audiences in order to establish credibility for the community mission business
- A team player that demonstrates the ability to build persuasive arguments through an understanding of key internal and external stakeholder business objectives and without direct authority.
- Excellent project management skills and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with diverse staff, volunteers and external partners
Managing Personal Effectiveness
- Accountable for Results. Results-oriented self-starter with strong focus on achieving desired outcomes and ability to achieve results. Takes action to address obstacles and demonstrates pride and commitment to work.
- Has strong background in related discipline (such as public health, dietician, nursing, health promotion, education)
- Strong knowledge/experience with community planning and development, acting as a change agent/facilitator, mobilizing diverse stakeholders to impact government and community policies and programs
Managing the Business
- Superior Customer Focus through understanding and exceeding the expectations of internal and external customers. Proactively anticipate and resolve potential issues.
- Demonstrates Business Smarts and Innovation through creative problem solving, and strong analytical skills
- Exceptional planning, organizational and project management skills with acute attention to detail.
- Field fundraising staff; Regional Manger/Area Managers
- Sr. Manager, Government Relations and Partner Programs
- Senior Manager, Diversity
- Parent Brand Team
- Resuscitation Team
- Senior Specialist, Health Partnerships
- Community Volunteer Specialist
- Heart Health Coordinators
- Local Health Integration Networks (LHIN's)
- Health Units
- Emergency Medical Services
- Maximizing opportunities and minimizing overlaps/confusion between existing fundraising programs and new initiatives
- Balancing the need to be responsive to communities as well as to province wide goals for greatest impact on mission
- Building a personal support system in a situation in which the job's focus is mission within a broader team that is focused on fundraising
- Health Promotion arena is complex and changing with many stakeholders
- Managing a large number of relationships both internal and external dealing with complex information
- Managing diverse stakeholder expectation and perceptions of the Foundation's role in Health Promotion
- Measuring success of regional/local programs
- Managing through situations where autonomous decisions have been made and implemented by self or others but within a set internal structure
- Speed and pace of change
- Accountable for developing and implementing regional mission plan
- Accountable for building and maintaining effective working relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Prior experience developing health promotion partnerships
- Knowledge or experience working with volunteers
- Proven ability to persuade and lead
- Proven ability to manage workload with little structure
- Good networking skills
- Related post secondary education (i.e., public health, dietician, nursing, health promotion, adult education)
- 4-6 years of experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
Please forward your resume to:
Human Resources Department
2300 Yonge Street, 13th Floor,
Toronto, Ontario M4P
Please include job title in subject line of email.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position however we will only be contacting those selected for interviews.