Department: Temmy Latner Centre for Palliative Care
Posting date: March 31, 2009
Closing date: April 14, 2009
Hours of Work: 8:30 - 4:30, Monday to Friday. Due to the nature of position, candidate must be flexible to work additional hours as required.
Based at Mount Sinai Hospital, the Temmy Latner Centre for Palliative Care (TLCPC) is one of Canada's largest centres for palliative care. Our patient care, education and research activities all strive to ensure quality end-of-life care for people living with a terminal illness, allowing them to die with dignity and in comfort.
Our Max and Beatrice Wolfe Centre for Children's Grief and Palliative Care (MBWCC) is the only specialized centre in Ontario that offers counseling support and medical care for dying and grieving children and families in both home and agency settings. We also educate and support children and their families who have a loved one who is dying or has died. As leaders in the field of children's grief and pediatric palliative care, we also provide consultation and education sessions for health professionals, teachers and boards of education.
The Administrative Assistant provides administrative, clinical and communications support for the Centre's Leader and counselors. This is a one-year full-time (1.0 FTE) contract with the possibility of renewal.
Specific responsibilities of this position include:
- Act as the first-line contact for clients, donors, Committee members, referrers and the general public
- Process incoming referral forms and create the electronic patient records and paper chart
- Keep intake and waitlist records up-to-date
- Process referrals to other agencies as requested
- Assist in coordinating workflow of program projects, including disseminating materials, copying, filing and contacting people as required
- Maintain accurate project records and files, manually and electronically
- Organize Team Business meetings, Clinical Patient Rounds and Advisory Committee meetings. Tasks involve scheduling, compiling and distributing the agenda, and taking minutes.
- Coordinate the logistics for program events, and participate as required
- Maintain contact databases
- Respond to requests and distribute Children Centre resources as appropriate
- Organize and maintain literature and program resource lists
- Provide administrative support to other departments within the Temmy Latner Centre and external consultants as required
- Successful completion of a Business Administration Diploma or Secretarial Diploma, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience in an administrative supportive role in a health care setting
- Experience maintaining paper and electronic health records and supporting the logistics required for meetings and events
- Extremely strong oral and written communication skills
- Quality client service skills
- Strong computer skills with a demonstrated proficiency in using Electronic Medical Records, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access and Outlook, with demonstrated keyboard/data entry skills. Experience in desktop publishing an asset.
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with an ability to respond to a wide variety of requests on an ad hoc basis and to routinely meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with staff, volunteers, donors and community partners in a collaborative team environment.
- Ability to make decisions, and exercise good judgment, discretion and initiative in dealing with confidential information and responding to enquiries
- Solid work ethic and demonstrated work performance and attendance history
- Knowledge of children's grief and palliative care an asset
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume directly to:
Temmy Latner Centre for Palliative Care
Joseph and Wolf Lebovic Centre
60 Murray Street, 4th Floor, Box #13
Toronto, ON M5T 3L9
Please no phone calls
We thank you for your interest in this position; however, only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.