Position: Media & Communications Coordinator
Location: Provincial Office, Toronto, Ontario
Employment Status: Permanent Full-time
The Media and Communications Coordinator supports the media-related activities of those working within the Smoke-Free Ontario Strategy. The Coordinator is responsible for the timely dissemination of information and the sharing of knowledge about tobacco-related issues with Ontario's tobacco control community. The Coordinator is the first point of contact with tobacco control stakeholders and offers health communication and media expertise as requested and as issues arise. The primary focus of the position is to increase earned media on key tobacco control issues. Opportunities to support the community with paid media campaigns may also be developed.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Consults with Ontario's tobacco control community to inform PTCC planning, share knowledge and support communication and media efforts.
- Works with stakeholders, and as necessary, the news media to increase coverage of key tobacco control issues.
- Advises PTCC, CCO, and the tobacco control community about media issues and helps develop action strategies.
- Supports the tobacco control community in the development and administration of media campaigns as required.
- Provides media relations training to tobacco control stakeholders across the province.
- Plans, develops and assists at news conferences and other promotional events.
- Undertakes other communications initiatives as required.
- Tracks tobacco-related media trends and current issues through media monitoring, the Media Network database, websites, internal and external sources.
- Analyzes, synthesizes and transforms tobacco control news information into useable formats, and disseminates relevant information in a variety of ways (i.e. print, online etc.) to the tobacco control community.
- Bachelor's degree in arts, communications and/or journalism; Diploma or Certificate of public relations.
- Minimum three years experience in communications or media relations; a background in public health is an asset.
- Must be able to take direction, but also be able to work independently from project planning to evaluation.
- Must be able to manage multiple, highly demanding projects and produce consistently high-quality work often under severe time constraints.
- Ability to analyze and interpret media databases, including the development of monitoring reports.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships with government, stakeholders and the media.
- Tact and diplomacy in handling confidential information and dealing with a variety of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated commitment to tobacco control
- Understanding of social marketing principles and tactics.
- Must be able to occasionally travel within Ontario, sometimes overnight.
- Ability to speak and understand French is a definite asset.
- Experience with coordinating media buys is an asset.
- Computer literacy (including internet communication tools and search skills with proficiency using Microsoft Office).
- Excellent interpersonal, including oral and written communication skills.
We prefer to receive applications online. Please apply online at http://www.cancercare.on.ca.
We thank all those who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer.