The Region of Peel, comprised of Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon, is a dynamic blend of rural/urban blend of urban, industrial and residential areas. We are one of Ontario's fastest growing municipalities, delivering a wide range of municipal services to over 1,000,000 residents. Peel Region is the first government in Canada to achieve the National Quality Institute's prestigious Canada Awards for Excellence.
If you are a forward-thinking nurse seeking new challenges with an award-winning and progressive organization that values a supportive and respectful environment, teamwork, effective communication, integrity and quality service, consider this temporary full-time opportunity within our Communicable Diseases Division.
Public Health Nurse - Infection Prevention & Surveillance (Phn#09-08)
Temporary full-time (Monday - Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm)
Duration: approximately twelve (12) months
The Communicable Disease Control Team requires a self-directed and enthusiastic individual to work in a collaborative team environment to deliver services in accordance with the Mandatory Programs and Services Guidelines.
Key responsibilities include:
- Investigation, case management and outbreak management of reports of communicable diseases and vaccine preventable diseases
- Vaccine cold chain investigation and follow up
- Developing and maintaining linkages with other health professionals and agencies (e.g. physicians, local hospitals, schools, long term care centres and community health agencies)
Examples of job activities (corresponding to the responsibilities listed above) may include:
- Completing case management and contact follow up on reports of communicable diseases and vaccine preventable diseases
- Providing direction on outbreak control measures and follow-up
- Investigating vaccine cold chain failures at physicians offices and immunization clinics
- Providing presentations to health care facilities
- Developing support materials for educational purposes
Interested candidates should possess:
- Experience in case management
- Knowledge of infection control practices and communicable diseases
- Knowledge of outbreak control measures
- Knowledge of vaccines
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong computer skills in MS Outlook and Word, Power Point and Excel
- Knowledge and experience with group facilitation and presentations
- Knowledge of Peel's diverse community
- a Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing or equivalency as recognized by a Canadian University
- a current certificate of competence as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- recent experience in public health (preferred).
There is more to a career at Peel; we also offer
- an hourly rate range from $33.45 - $40.10
- an employee assistance program (EAP)
- Workplace Safety and Insurance Board coverage (WSIB)
- training and development
- a healthy workplace
- a family orientated environment and
- a workplace where your feedback is important to us.
The position is located in Brampton and the position closes on April 21, 2009.
To apply, please visit us at http://www.peelregion.ca/jobs. Click on Current Listings and Public Health Nurse, Infection Prevention & Surveillance (Temporary) PHN#09-08. You will be invited to complete a questionnaire on your related experience, education and availability.
At the Region of Peel, we respect diversity and treat one another in ways that are fair, courteous and compassionate, recognizing everyone's contributions. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. Internal applicants will be kept apprised of their application status.