The Region of Peel, comprised of Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon, is a dynamic blend of rural/urban, industrial and residential areas. We are one of Ontario's fastest growing municipalities, delivering a wide range of municipal services to over 1,000,000 residents. Peel Region is the first government in Canada to achieve the National Quality Institute's prestigious Canada Awards for Excellence.
If you are a forward-thinking nurse seeking new challenges with an award-winning and progressive organization that values a supportive and respectful environment, teamwork, effective communication, integrity and quality service, consider this regular part-time opportunity within our Communicable Diseases Division in the Peel Health Department.
Public Health Nurse, Immunization Services & Call Centre (Part-time) PHN#09-07
The Communicable Disease Control section requires a self-directed, enthusiastic individual to work within the Immunization Clinics team environment to deliver services in accordance with Vaccine Preventable Disease Standards.
- Key responsibilities include:
- Providing information, education and referral in answering all calls received at the Communicable Disease Divisional Call Centre.
- Maintaining appropriate documentation on the computerized data base and ensuring correct data collection.
- Providing clinical nursing skills including immunizations as required.
- Developing and maintaining linkages with other health professionals and agencies, eg: physicians, area hospitals, schools and school boards, multicultural organizations.
Examples of job activities (corresponding to the responsibilities listed above) may include:
- Providing telephone assessment and health education related to communicable diseases, immunizations, outbreaks, birth control and sexually transmitted infections.
- Providing telephone support to the immunization clinic staff who are working at schools /offsite immunization clinics throughout Peel during large immunization campaigns and throughout the year.
- Delivering immunization services to clients at our Routine Immunization Clinic.
Interested candidates should possess:
- Knowledge of current recommended immunization schedules in Ontario
- Knowledge of vaccine safety and handling
- Experience administering immunizing agents
- Knowledge of infection control practices
- Knowledge of the College of Nurses Practice Standards and best practices
- Strong assessment, leadership, organizational and planning skills
- An understanding of health promotion and community development principles
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written, in person and via the telephone
- Strong computer skills in MS outlook, Ms word, Power Point and Excel
- Knowledge of Peel's diverse community
- Knowledge and understanding of local healthcare system
- a Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing or equivalency as recognized by a Canadian University
- a current certificate of competence as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- recent experience in public health (preferred) and
- a willingness to travel to various regional locations.
There is more to a career at Peel; we also offer
- an hourly rate range $33.45 - $40.10
- a comprehensive benefit package
- direct links to management
- up-to-date technology
- a healthy workplace and
- a work environment where your feedback is important to us.
Hours of work - every Monday, Friday and alternate Tuesdays (8:30 am - 4:30 pm)
The position is located in Brampton and the position closes on April 21, 2009.
To apply, please visit us at http://www.peelregion.ca/jobs. Click on Current Listings and Public Health Nurse, Communicable Diseases-Immunization Services & Call Centre (Part-time) PHN#09-07. You will be invited to complete a questionnaire on your related experience, education and availability.
At the Region of Peel, we respect diversity and treat one another in ways that are fair, courteous and compassionate, recognizing everyone's contributions. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. Internal applicants will be kept apprised of their application status.