9:00 a.m 4:30 p.m.
Glenway Country Club, 470 Crossland Gate
Service providers in York Region often say they don't have lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender (LGBT) clients. However, we know this not to be true. We also know that LGBT clients often do not access services in the region and/or do not feel safe discussing their sexual orientation/gender identity. This one-day conference will provide a forum and learning opportunity to explore issues of competency in offering services to LGBT persons. The purpose of this conference is to take a systemic and coordinated approach to eliminate discrimination and oppression on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
Participants will have an opportunity to
- increase their understanding
- heighten their awareness and sensitivity
- continue to lay the groundwork for systemic change and set an agenda that includes LGBT health and wellness in York Region.
- understand the importance of supporting diversity through policy setting
Who Should Attend: Front line service providers, Support staff, Management, Board members, Educators, Students, Agency leaders, Those wanting to make systemic change in their organizations, Key stakeholders and decision makers who want to make a difference
- Key Note Speaker - Alison Kemper
- Youth Presentation
- Morning Workshops participants will choose one): Same Sex Partner Abuse, Working with LGB Youth, Lesbian Couple Therapy 101, Building Organizational Capacity, Becoming a Cultural Competent Organization on Trans Issues,
- Afternoon Workshops (participants will choose one): Same Sex Partner Abuse, Working with LGB Youth, Lesbian Couple Therapy 101, Building Organizational Capacity, Optimizing LGBT Health
- Steps & Wrap Up (moderated by David Barnes) including John O'Mara, Executive Director, Addiction Services for York Region; Elisha Laker, Executive Director, Family Services York Region; and Others TBA.
Please register by May 29th, as space is limited.
Cost: $50.00, includes lunch and continental breakfast
For more information, contact Barbara Urman, Coordinator, York Region LGBT Community Outreach Project, at (905)895-2371 x256 or email@example.com.
This workshop is funded by the Ontario Trillium Foundation and the
Communityone Foundation and supported by the York Region LGBT Community