Director, African and Caribbean Council on HIV/AIDS in Ontario (ACCHO)
Vacancy for a Director
The African and Caribbean Council on HIV/AIDS in Ontario (ACCHO) is a coalition of HIV/AIDS and other service providing organizations, people living with HIV/AIDS, community members, researchers and policy makers leading the response to HIV/AIDS in African, Caribbean and Black communities in Ontario. Reporting to ACCHO's co-Chairs, the Director will provide leadership in the implementation of ACCHO's core responsibilities, which include: (a) coordinating the implementation, monitoring and renewal of the Strategy on HIV/AIDS for African and Caribbean communities in Ontario, (b) engaging African, Caribbean and Black communities in the response to HIV/AIDS, (c) supporting organizations in their response to HIV/AIDS affecting African, Caribbean and Black communities, (d) working with communities and stakeholders to build capacity for a more effective response, (e) advising on HIV/AIDS and related issues affecting African, Caribbean and Black communities, and advocating for support for the
Strategy, and (f) facilitating and guiding research and knowledge transfer initiatives.
- History of working with African, Caribbean and Black communities in Canada, and superior understanding of issues affecting the wellbeing of those communities;
- Proven skills in advocacy and program development in health or related fields;
- Sound understanding of health issues and HIV/AIDS in Canada, including the work of community-based organizations in responding to HIV/AIDS;
- Good knowledge of the policy and research environment related to health, particularly HIV/AIDS;
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills;
- Commitment to social justice;
- A bachelor's or master's degree with a health, social work or social service focus;
- At least 3 years of management experience in the nonprofit sector.
- Ability to communicate in English and French is an asset.
Applicants should email a cover letter and current résumé by 5:00 p.m. on
Monday, May 25, 2009 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No telephone inquires please. ACCHO thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those persons selected for an interview will be contacted.