Manager, Canadian Population Health Initiative (CPHI)
Pay Grade: 7
Branch: Canadian Population Health Initiative (CPHI)
Job ID: 312
Reports to: Director, Canadian Population Health Initiative (CPHI)
Closing Date: May 21, 2009
The Manager is responsible for the production of regular independent population health reports, population health information products and the on-going coordination of CPHI research, policy analysis and synthesis activities. Materials produced include topics/issues that emerge from the CPHI Action Plan, CPHI Council priorities as well as population health research findings from Canada and internationally. The Manager coordinates the compilation of data, information, and evidence from various sources and its transformation into information that is meaningful and useful to different target audiences.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages the development and production of population health reports and related products. Coordinates processes to determine the issues and scope of reports, applying a strong conceptual understanding of health and its major determinants from a broad population health perspective. Collaborates with internal departments and external stakeholders to ensure coordination. In conjunction with the Senior Researcher, Manager and data analysis staff, provides guidance on analytic ideas and potential analyses for analytical products.
- Supervises the work and manages the workload of staff with sound work plans. Contributes to staff development by mentoring staff, providing effective performance feedback, and ensuring that there are opportunities for skills development.
- Accountable in ensuring high quality products within a quality assurance framework.
- Attends CPHI Council and provides support to the Council, carrying out their directives as required.
- Works with external expert groups, and other stakeholders including academics, policy/decision makers from various levels of government and the private sector, practitioners, and representatives of the public, media, professional organizations and the voluntary sector to further CPHI's projects and activities.
- Coordinates the development of information for appropriate dissemination vehicles, such as web-based information, fact sheets, backgrounders, and media releases. Conducts media interviews to promote the reports and findings.
- Manages and monitors the negotiation of contracts and Contribution Agreements with external partners and stakeholders and/or their assigned fund administering agencies.
- Works closely with the CPHI Co-Manager and the Senior Researcher to ensure coordination of analysis and reporting activities. Works closely with other members of the CPHI and other divisions within CIHI to coordinate financial, human resources, publication, translation, communication and planning activities in the Reports and Analysis section of CPHI.
- Manages the analysis and synthesis of research and policy as it relates to the research program and analytical products.
Knowledge and Experience
- Graduate degree or equivalent experience/education in health or social sciences or related field.
- Strong conceptual understanding of health and its broad determinants.
- Extensive experience managing and supervising staff.
- Research and analytical skills/experience in knowledge translation and exchange, specifically: knowledge of existing research; ability to find, acquire, appraise and adapt information; ability to synthesize research; critical appraisal skills; understanding of how research data can be turned into key messages for decision makers; and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge and experience in managing quality assurance processes and ensuring high quality products.
- Knowledge of the Canadian population health landscape and familiarity with relevant research and policy organizations.
- Experience in research and policy analysis/synthesis.
- Excellent report writing and editing skills.
- Excellent project management experience and skills.
- Contract management skills including monitoring the progress to completion.
- Developed skills in coaching, facilitation, consulting and negotiating.
- Ability to work in a team oriented work environment.
- Experience in policy development an asset.
- Ability to meet travel requirements.
- The ability to work in both official languages (English/French) is strongly preferred.
Interested candidates should apply online at http://www.cihi.ca/careers.
We thank all those who apply, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.