Deadline: July 2, 2009
The Region of Peel, comprised of Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon, is a dynamic blend of rural, urban, industrial and residential areas. We are one of Ontario's fastest growing municipalities, delivering a wide range of municipal services to over 1,000,000 residents. Peel Region is the first government in Canada to achieve the National Quality Institute’s prestigious Canada Awards for Excellence.
If you are a forward-thinking nurse seeking new challenges with an award-winning and progressive organization that values a supportive and respectful environment, teamwork, effective communication, integrity and quality service, consider this temporary opportunity within our Family Health Division of the Peel Health Services Department.
PUBLIC HEALTH NURSE – CHILD HEALTH PROGRAM (PHN# 09-10)
Duration: approximately twelve (12) months
Hours of work: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday
Key responsibilities include:
• Providing telephone assessment, counseling, support and referral to community resources to clients directed to the Breastfeeding Call Centre.
• Providing client assessment, counseling and support to breastfeeding mothers at Peel Public Health breastfeeding clinics.
• Providing service to clients as a member of a focused team.
• Delivering client education and other health promotion information to diverse groups.
• Consulting and maintaining linkages with other health professionals and agencies.
• Working in a multidisciplinary team environment.
• Providing service to Peel’s diverse multicultural community.
• Working with relevant computer information systems.
Interested candidates should possess:
• Demonstrated skill in delivering service to families with children 0-6 years of age.
• Skill and knowledge in the area of child and reproductive health.
• Specialized knowledge and skill in the area of breastfeeding would be an asset.
• Strong client assessment skills.
• A well developed knowledge of health promotion strategies, community development and project management principles.
• Effective communication skills, both oral and written.
• Strong assessment, counseling, organizational and planning skills.
• Knowledge of Peel’s population and diverse community.
Success requires: • a Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing or equivalency as recognized by a Canadian University • a current certificate of competence as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario • recent experience in public health (preferred).
There is more to a career at Peel; we also offer
• an hourly rate range from $33.45 - $40.10
• training and development
• a healthy workplace
• a family orientated environment and
• a workplace where your feedback is important to us.
To be considered for this position, please apply online at http://www.peelregion.ca/jobs. Select Current Listings and go to Public Health Nurse – Child Health Program (PHN#09-10). The position is located in Brampton and it closes on July 2, 2009.
The Region of employer, an equal opportunity employer, appreciates all responses; however, only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.