Deadline July 29, 2009
About the Centre for Social Innovation
The Centre for Social Innovation is a social enterprise with a mission to spark, connect and support new ideas that are making positive change in the world. We do this by providing shared space and services, acting as a community centre for social innovators, and helping to launch new entrepreneurial and collaborative projects.
About the Centre for Social Innovation’s Director of Social Enterprise
This is a rare and exciting senior position at the Centre for Social Innovation. The Director of Social Enterprise has the opportunity to play an instrumental role in evolving the social enterprise space in Toronto and Ontario. We have secured funding for a part-time contract, but the right person will turn this into a full time position and will quickly grow a social enterprise program for Toronto.
The Director of Social Enterprise will assume responsibility for the delivery of the Enterprising Non-Profits Program (http://www.socialinnovation.ca/enp). ENP is a social enterprise capacity-building and granting program created to seed and support social enterprise.
The Director of Social Enterprise will also assume responsibility for planning the development of a social enterprise incubator in Toronto. If successful, this incubator will weave together existing programs and introduce new initiatives that fill gaps and support the needs of Toronto’s emerging social enterprise sector.
We seek an extraordinary individual who is part left brain and part right brain, part project manager and part entrepreneur.
How do you know if you are right for the job?
- Have you run a social enterprise? Do you have any idea what this term really means?
- Do you know what goes into making a social enterprise come to life? Have you struggled in the nonprofit sector long enough to really get what it takes to be successful?
- Do you have initiative? Do you get things done?
- Can you conceptualize a project from start to finish?
- Are you a project management control freak that really owns a program?
- Does fundraising come naturally to you? Are you a natural networker?
- Do you get it? Are you passionate about social change? Do you have the context?
- Are you charming? Can you hold people's attention and convince them of great things?
We want to work with outrageously fun, socially committed and truly professional people who take tremendous pride in their work and want to make social change in the process... is this you?
Practically, the Work Responsibilities:
Deliver the ENP-Toronto 2009 Program
- Liaise with funders
- Promote the program
- Plan and deliver social enterprise skills training workshops
- Support funding applicants
- Develop a post-grant coaching program
- Lead a program evaluation strategy
- Fundraise for 2010 and beyond
Lead the development of a comprehensive social enterprise incubation program
- Deliver and coordinate the delivery of workshops seminars and coaching services
- Liaise with potential investors in the incubator
- Assist social enterprises to thrive
- This project is still in its start up phase, thus it will take whatever it takes
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience managing a social enterprise – experience on both the nonprofit and businessside will be essential
- Project management skills
- Presentation and communication skills
- Capacity to handle a million things
- Enthusiasm and energy
- Fundraising experience
- Sound judgment and comfort working autonomously
- A low-stress attitude in a complex environment
- Willingness to do whatever it takes…Zero attitude!!
We are an equal opportunity employer and strongly support applications from diverse backgrounds and communities.
Salary: This is a part-time position, over a 9 month period, with a reasonable likelihood of becoming full time. Salary is commensurate with experience. This position will report to the Executive Director.
Submit your cover letter and resume by Wednesday, July 29, to:
Colleen Diamond, Executive Assistant
Centre for Social Innovation
215 Spadina Ave, Suite 120
Toronto, ON M5T 2C7
For more information about the Centre for Social Innovation visit http://www.socialinnovation.ca.