Deadline July 24, 2009
16 Month Contract
Ophea (Ontario Physical and Health Education Association) is a dynamic not-for-profit organization with a staff of approximately 30 individuals. Ophea exists to support schools and communities through quality program supports, partnerships and advocacy to enable children and youth to lead healthy active lives. Services are provided to a variety of individuals including elementary and secondary school teachers, public health professionals, and recreation leaders. Ophea also works closely with provincial government ministries, corporations, and other not-for-profit organizations.
For the next year, Ophea’s efforts will be focused on creating increased awareness of the organization, with specific focus on the renewed Health and Physical Education (H&PE) curriculum and Ophea’s new H&PE curriculum implementation support strategy. We believe these are exciting times, and we see a unique opportunity to mobilize multi-sectoral partnerships to ensure integrated and holistic approaches to support healthy active living for Ontario’s children and youth.
We are seeking an individual to lead the ongoing development and coordination of the execution of key components of Ophea’s marketing and communications plans. The duration of the contract will be from July 2009 until September 2010.
Knowledge (formal education or general knowledge) required:
- University or post secondary education in communications, public/media relations, government relations, public affairs, journalism or related discipline. An understanding and knowledge of government relations, and/or media relations, and the sport, recreation, health promotions and/or physical education field is preferred. Bilingualism and familiarity with the operation of not-for-profit organizations is an asset.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This individual will provide strategic support for Ophea’s corporate communications activities which will include acting as a public representative for Ophea to government, the media, the public and various stakeholders to promote a favourable corporate image, gain support for organizational objectives and represent the interests of Ophea.
1. Provides leadership and support to Government Relations and Advocacy activities for Ophea
- Works with the Executive Director and Director of Marketing and Development to lead and support communication strategies to ensure Ophea is top of mind among key government decision makers and influencers
- Writes, develops and/or refines materials such as:
- Key messages
- Letters to key government decision makers and influencers
- Ophea position statements
- Position papers, discussion policy papers and white papers based on input from current research, the Board of Directors and management
- Presentations to key stakeholders
- Arranges and where appropriate attends meetings, appearances, and presentations with key government decision makers and influencers
- Makes presentations to key stakeholders as required
- Coordinates Provincial and Regional events such as advocacy events as well as launch events for key strategic and products
- Coordinates communications/mailings to key government decision makers and influencers
- Collects, manages and maintains up to date information on government contacts, organizations, committees/groups, and events relevant to the organization
2. Provides leadership and support to media relations activities for Ophea
- Leads the development and execution of all media and public relations plans, events and materials with support from the Director of Marketing and Development
- Manages process to identify and react to media stories, government initiatives and announcements, and initiatives/announcement of other organizations and individuals
- Primary contact for all media inquiries – responding to media calls, requests for information, inquiries, and issues/complaints in a professional manner conducive to upholding the corporate image and promoting favourable community and partnership relations
- Responds to inaccurate or negative reports regarding Ophea to clarify the organization’s position to the public, government, and community partners
- Develops, plans and schedules media activities for Ophea program initiatives
- Monitors news items, new policies and trends (including government trends) and disseminates to staff as needed and develops strategies for responses as needed
- Develops media materials such as; key messages, media releases, backgrounders and FAQs that can be used for media relations, and inquiries (phone & email)
3. Leads implementation of communication activities
- Provides leadership and support to implement Ophea’s Branding Strategy
- Develops and maintains corporate communications tools and materials as needed
- Develops, implements and monitors programs and initiatives to assist employees and volunteers in serving as company ambassadors though their community and partnership involvement
- Collaborates with the Director of Marketing and Development on the identification and gathering of appropriate organizational research data
4. Revenue Generation
- Supports the researching of and the development of funding proposals
- Supports the development of marketing and sales strategies for Ophea’s products and services
5. Partnerships & Relationship Management
- Supports partnership development and relationship management activities by coordinating meetings, identifying potential partners, developing partner and stakeholder updates
- Coordinates meetings and the participation of Ophea in key events
6. Performs other duties as assigned.
To Apply, please forward your resume no later than July 24, 2009, to:
Ophea (Ontario Physical and Health Education Association)
1 Concorde Gate, Suite 608
Toronto, ON M3C 3N6
Fax: (416) 426-7373
Please note: Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted