Deadline August 24, 2009
The Centre for Research on Inner City Health at St. Michael’s Hospital is currently seeking highly motivated individuals for the position of Research Assistant. The Research Assistant will be a part of the “At Home” Research Demonstration Project in Mental Health & Homelessness, aimed at understanding the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of providing housing and support services for homeless adults in Toronto who have serious mental health issues. Under the supervision of the centre’s survey unit and project team, this part-time position primarily involves arranging and conducting face-to-face and phone interviews with study participants across the greater Toronto Area.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Active participation in ongoing interview skills development workshops
- Scheduling and coordinating interviews with research participants
- Conducting face-to-face interviews as well as phone interviews with research participants
- Adhering to project protocols, including security, data transfer/storage and quality control protocols
- Monitoring interview progress and providing regular updates
- Documenting interview response rates and incidences (where applicable)
- Providing research participants with referrals to social and health services as needed
- We are seeking applications from people with personal experience of mental health issues. Past or current experience of homelessness, under-housing and/or poverty will also be considered an asset.
- Relevant research experience
- Experience working with people who are homeless/under-housed and/or have mental health issues
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent attention to detail and proven ability to learn new skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated computer skills (interview data will be collected using computers)
- Demonstrated cultural/ethnic sensitivity
- Proficiency in multiple languages an asset (both oral and written) is an asset
- Excellent organizational skills to manage multiple tasks in a timely manner and flexibility to adapt to a changing workload
- Must be willing to travel across the greater Toronto area
- Ability to work flexible hours
Interested applicants may apply through the St. Michael's Hospital website or should send a CV and cover letter by email to Charoula Tsamis, Centre for Research on Inner City Health, St. Michael’s Hospital, at: email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted until August 24th, 2009.