Deadline September 15, 2009
1 Full time or 2 Part time 6-month Contract Positions (with possibility of extension)
October 1, 2009 to March 31, 2010
New Heights Community Health Centres provides primary health care and health promotion programs to priority populations in North West Toronto. The Toronto Central LHIN has provided New Heights with funding to develop, implement and evaluate the Diabetes Prevention Project (DPP) for Seniors which will focus on the Latin American and Caribbean populations living in North West Toronto. DPP aims to raise awareness about diabetes and prevent onset of diabetes. The program includes mass screening in community settings, diabetes prevention workshops, cooking classes and exercise programs.
We are seeking a full time or two part time Registered Dietitian(s) with experience in outreach, diabetes education and group facilitation to work with a team including an outreach worker and nurse on this exciting project.
Responsibilities include the following:
- develop, implement and evaluate the diabetes prevention project
- conduct mass screening for pre-diabetes in community settings
- provide consultation to individuals at the screening clinics
- deliver diabetes prevention workshops
- conduct cooking programs
- conduct outreach in the community
- develop educational resources and screening tools
- participate in team meetings and centre-wide initiatives
- perform administrative tasks
The successful candidate will be/have:
- a member of the College of Dietitians of Ontario
- experience working in an interdisciplinary team
- good understanding of health promotion
- sensitivity to and knowledge of the needs of a multicultural, multiracial community
- strong interpersonal and group facilitation skills
- experience in diabetes education is an asset
- ability to speak a second language, such as Spanish, is a definite asset
- prepared to work some evenings and weekends, and to work out of multiple locations as required
Please apply by email, in writing or by fax and indicate clearly the name of the position for which you are applying for, by September 15th, 2009 to:
Hiring Committee – RD position, Diabetes Prevention Project
New Heights Community Health Centres
12 Flemington Rd.
Toronto, ON M6A 2N4
Fax: (416) 787-3761
We encourage applications from people who are reflective of the diverse communities we serve.
Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.