Deadline September 15, 2009
1 Full time or 2 Part time 6-month Contract Positions (with possibility of extension)
October 1, 2009 to March 31, 2010
New Heights Community Health Centres provides primary health care and health promotion programs to priority populations in North West Toronto. The Toronto Central LHIN has provided New Heights with funding to develop, implement and evaluate the Diabetes Prevention Project (DPP) for Seniors which will focus on the Latin American and Caribbean populations living in North West Toronto. DPP aims to raise awareness about diabetes and prevent onset of diabetes. The program includes mass screening in community settings, diabetes prevention workshops, cooking classes and exercise programs.
We are seeking a full time or two part time Outreach Worker(s) with experience in outreach and health promotion to work with a team including a registered dietitian and nurse on this exciting project.
Responsibilities include the following:
- develop, implement and evaluate the diabetes prevention project
- conduct effective outreach in the community
- establish connection with health and social service providers
- coordinate mass screening clinics in community settings
- participate in team meetings and centre-wide initiatives
- perform administrative tasks
The successful candidate will be/have:
- university degree in a health or social science discipline from a recognized university or a combination of some post-secondary education and significant experience in outreach and health promotion
- experience working with health, social service and educational professionals and agencies
- experience working in an interdisciplinary team
- good understanding of health promotion
- sensitivity to and knowledge of the needs of a multicultural, multiracial community
- strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- ability to speak a second language, such as Spanish, is a definite asset
- prepared to work some evenings and weekends, and to work out of multiple locations as required
Please apply by email, in writing or by fax and indicate clearly the name of the position for which you are applying for, by September 15th, 2009 to:
Hiring Committee – Outreach Worker position, Diabetes Prevention Project
New Heights Community Health Centres
12 Flemington Rd.
Toronto, ON M6A 2N4
Fax: (416) 787-3761
We encourage applications from people who are reflective of the diverse communities we serve.
Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.