No deadline noted
Youth Challenge International is recruiting a team of six volunteers between the ages of 18 and 30 with backgrounds in health sciences, public health, medicine and/or development for a five-week HIV/AIDS focused youth development project in Guyana from November 2nd until December 7th 2009.
This exciting opportunity will include a pre-project distance-learning program, followed by an intensive five-week placement in Guyana; of which four-weeks will be spent in Region 2, the community of St. Deny's. While in-country, you will work with our partner organization, Youth Challenge Guyana, to further the reach and relevance of the HIV/AIDS program.
Develop and deliver sensitization workshops on:
- HIV/AIDS/STIs (Sexually Transmitted Infections),
- Reproductive Health,
- General Hygiene.
Provide remedial literacy and numeracy classes
Deliver youth leadership and community development sessions based on curriculum developed the Ministry of Amerindian affairs.
Your Skills And Experience
- Experience in facilitating trainings and workshops
- Well developed knowledge of youth programs, HIV/AIDS prevention and related issues
- Strong planning, organization and writing skills
- Community mobilization and prior cross-cultural experience preferred
- Previous experience in a leadership role, preferably with youth aged 15-30
- Appropriate post-secondary education or relevant work/volunteer experience
- YCI's volunteer participants are required to fundraise and/or contribute a minimum of $3,000 to contribute to YCI's global youth development programs worldwide.
What's Covered By YCI
- Preparatory Support and Pre-Project Distance Learning
- In-Country Training
- Modest International Accommodations and Food
- In-Country Work-Related Travel
- Comprehensive Medical and Evacuation Insurance
What's Not Covered
- Airfare and Personal Expenses
- Travel Insurance
- Participants will be expected obtain the required vaccinations and take anti-malarials at their own expense.
Please apply online using YCI's volunteer application form at http://www.yci.org/html/programs/overview/applynow.asp.
Youth Challenge International is a leading global non-profit youth development organization that promotes youth innovation to drive positive change. We are a registered charity and provide tax receipts to all donations over $25. Building on over 20 years of experience, YCI's programs are designed to meet the needs of youth affected by poverty through five integrated sectors: economic development, education, leadership development, environment and health. We engage youth in creating solutions to the challenges they face. YCI incorporates youth development, volunteerism, partnership, equity and advocacy into all that we do.