May and June 2010
Deadline January 4, 2010
A unique, intensive training opportunity for junior nurse researchers in Canada, Jamaica and the Caribbean, Kenya, Uganda, and South Africa to launch their research career and network internationally
Note: Selection is competitive and limited seats are available
For Information and to Download Application Package: http://www.internship.shorturl.com
- Community health services & policy research
- Global health issues
- Developing research networks
- Grantsmanship and publication skills
- Linking with local, national, and international decision-makers
- Working on interdisciplinary teams
- Innovative research methods
- Developing programs of research
- Registered nurse or registered midwife
- Graduate-prepared (minimum completed masters degree) in nursing, medicine, public or community health, epidemiology or social sciences, or other related disciplines (must have completed masters degree at least one month prior to internship);
- A citizen of: Canada, Jamaica or another Caribbean country, Kenya, Uganda, South Africa;
- Other country eligibility to be determined on a case-by-case basis (contact Susan Roelofs at [email protected]);
- Given approval by employer for study leave covering May 23-June 30, 2010;
- Research and writing experience will be considered an advantage;
- Research focus on community health research;
- Interested in international collaboration;
- Committed to long-term research engagement and providing tangible benefits to home community or institution.
Program Dates for 2010:
- May 23 - June 17: Full-time on-site program in Jamaica at the University of the West Indies (three weeks at Mona campus in Kingston and one week at western campus near Montego Bay)
- June 21-30: In home country—Part-time by distance education (approximately 2-3 hours per day)
USD $2,540 (Includes residence accommodation while in Jamaica and some meals, all sessions, course materials, and distance education).
Note: Travel costs are not included in the program fee.
A limited number of bursaries may be available for Canadian interns to help offset costs.
- Dr. Nancy Edwards, Full Professor, School of Nursing and Department of Epidemiology and Community Medicine, University of Ottawa
- Dr. Eulalia Kahwa, Lecturer, UWI School of Nursing, University of the West Indies, Mona, Jamaica
- Dr. Dan Kaseje, Professor and Vice-Chancellor, Great Lakes University of Kisumu, Kenya
For More Information:
- Canadian enquiries: Sabrina Farmer [email protected]
- International enquires: Susan Roelofs [email protected]
Application deadline: January 4, 2010
This internship is part of “Strengthening Nurses’ Capacity in HIV Policy Development in Sub-Saharan Africa and the Caribbean”, funded by the International Development Research Centre, Ottawa, Canada, on behalf of the Global Health Research Initiative. The internship is also supported by Dr. Edwards’ Canadian Health Services Research Foundation/Canadian Institutes of Health Research Chair Award in Nursing.