Deadline December 18, 2009
Grid Level 451-500 (CUPE Local 543.3)
Up to 24 hrs/week for up to 15 months
The Windsor Essex County Health Unit (WECHU) is piloting a smoking cessation model in workplaces across 7 different sectors in Windsor and Essex County from now until March 2011. The smoking cessation model will be based on existing smoking cessation research and resources that will be tailored to meet the needs of each workplace. Under the supervision of a Health Promotion Specialist (Site Supervisor), the student will assist with the development, implementation, evaluation and dissemination of the Windsor Workplace Smoking Cessation Model. The successful completion of these tasks will require an individual that is able to communicate effectively, analyze data and prepare reports.
- Participate in a brief overview of WECHU and orientation to the project
- Review smoking cessation literature
- Assist with the collection and analysis of data using appropriate software and analysis techniques
- Prepare summary reports at key project milestones
- Assist with the development of the promotional plan and materials for each workplace
- Assist with the development of smoking cessation materials for each workplace
- Assist workplaces with changes to ensure readiness for model implementation. This may include policy development; changes to employee benefits, ensuring cessation resources are available etc.
- Assist and support workplaces in the implementation of their smoking cessation model
- Provide recommendations for model improvement
- Document workplace successes, barriers to change and stories (ongoing)
- Work in a consultative role with workplace contacts throughout the course of the project
- Provide weekly progress reports to Site Supervisor and Advisors.
- Graduate student in a health related field (e.g., health promotion, public health, etc.)
- High personal motivation, self-management, and detail-orientation
- Ability to take responsibility in meeting deadlines and making progress with minimal supervision
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Capacity to quickly learn new software, research methods, and work routines
- Flexibility in responding to project changes as they arise
- Motivation to engage in and manage a wide range of tasks, ranging from leading meetings with stakeholders to analyzing data
- Strong computer skills with Microsoft Office, SPSS, and general internet and electronic communications.
- Readiness and comfort level to meet and work directly with workplaces/contacts
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office Professional computer software applications
- A valid Ontario Drivers Licence and access to a reliable vehicle
- Police Clearance.
Qualified individuals are invited to forward a resumé and cover letter by December 18, 2009, to Nancy Smith, Manager of Human Resources, Windsor-Essex County Health Unit, 1005 Ouellette Ave., Windsor, ON N9A 4J8, Fax: (519) 258-6003, or by e-mail: email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.