Deadline January 29, 2010
One-Year Contract Position with possibility of extension
New Heights Community Health Centres provides a range of clinical and community health services and programs to priority populations in North West Toronto.
The Toronto Central LHIN has provided New Heights with funding to develop the Live Free…Prevent Diabetes (LFPD) project that aims to raise awareness about diabetes risks and prevent the onset of diabetes in the Latin American and Caribbean populations living in the North West Toronto area. The LFPD team conducts on-site screening for diabetes risks and delivers healthy lifestyles workshops in the communities.
Our Diabetes Education Centre (DEC) consists of four full time nurse and dietitians teams, an outreach worker, a program assistant and a receptionist. We educate and counsel clients with impaired glucose tolerance/impaired fasting glucose and type 2 diabetes in both individual and group settings.
We are now seeking a Spanish speaking outreach worker to join the LFPD and DEC teams to extend our outreach efforts to the Latin American and Carribean populations.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- provide written and spoken Spanish and English translation for/at screening sessions and workshops
- facilitate connections with community organizations and partners in collaboration with the other outreach workers
- conduct effective outreach to physicians in the community
- develop, implement and evaluate outreach strategies
- participate in team meetings and centre-wide initiatives
- perform administrative tasks
The successful candidate will be/have:
- university degree in a health or social science discipline or a combination of some post-secondary education and significant experience in outreach and health promotion
- fluency in Spanish and English
- experience working with health, social service professionals and agencies
- experience working in an interdisciplinary team setting
- good understanding of health promotion
- sensitivity to and knowledge of the needs of a multicultural, multiracial community
- strong interpersonal and communication skills
- punctual, motivated and organized
- ability to work some evenings and weekends and travel to various locations in the GTA
Please apply by email by January 29th, 2010, 5:00 p.m. to:
Hiring Committee – Spanish Speaking Outreach Worker, DEC and LFPD Project
New Heights Community Health Centres
12 Flemington Rd.
Toronto, ON M6A 2N4
Fax: (416) 787-3761
We encourage applications from people who are reflective of the diverse communities we serve.
Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.