Deadline January 27, 2010
Position Type: Full Time
Date Posted: January 11, 2010
The Black Community Action Network of Peel (BCAN) is a multidisciplinary team of Black service providers, professionals and allied community stakeholders working with all sectors to provide the resources necessary to foster well-being in Black communities in Peel Region. Working from an African-Centered Approach, the mission of BCAN is to provide leadership for the development of a strong and responsive social infra-structure for the Black community in the Region of Peel. BCAN is looking for a professional individual committed to social justice, the well-being of the Black community who is willing to show leadership and support for the initiatives BCAN undertakes over the course of the project funding.
Under the leadership of BCAN-Peel the BCAN Coordinator will:
- Coordinate the strategic development and planning for BCAN
- Provide the administrative support and creative suggestions for the advocacy, capacity building and community engagement activities and events of BCAN
- Create and Implement the work plan of BCAN
- Create, lead, and coordinate working groups to assist project development and completion
- Research and compile resources pertinent to the well being of the Black community in Peel
- Document best practices for building bridges between the Black community and the service sector
- Assist in the development and implementation of a sustainability strategy
- Other duties, as assigned.
The BCAN Coordinator will be a creative, energetic self-starter with the following:
- A strong analysis in an anti-racism and anti-oppression framework
- A history and experience of working with African, Caribbean and Black communities in Canada with an understanding of issues affecting the wellbeing of those communities
- A commitment to social justice with the ability to think critically and creatively
- A combination of post-secondary education and experience in the human service sector, community development or equivalent ( minimum 3-5 years)
- Experience with community outreach and engagement
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, writing and computer skills
- Proven ability to work with community collaboratives
- Proven ability to conduct literature and community research
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong facilitation, coordination and organizational skills.
- Previous experience working with collaboratives and networks in Peel is an asset
Currently based in Mississauga/Brampton, the BCAN Coordinator position requires extensive travel across the Region of Peel and GTA. Access to a vehicle is an asset.
Salary/wages based on education and experience. Mandatory benefits and vacation pay included.
To apply, please send an email titled "Application: BCAN Coordinator, BCAN-Peel, email@example.com , attention: Hiring Committee.
BCAN is committed to principles and values of antiracism/anti oppression and employment equity. We strongly encourage applications from people representing the diversity of the Black community especially women, people living with disabilities and people identifying as LGBTTIQ
Thank you for applying. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Successful candidates will be required to undergo a police reference check.