Deadline February 15, 2010
Location: 480 University Avenue
Position Status: Open
Posting Date: Monday, January 25, 2010
Closing Date: Monday, February15, 2010
The Ontario Agency for Health Protection and Promotion (OAHPP) is an arm’s-length government agency dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, OAHPP links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
OAHPP provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians. For more information about OAHPP, visit http://www.oahpp.ca.
The Knowledge Exchange Specialist contributes to the development and execution of OAHPPs knowledge-exchange strategy within the broader local, provincial, national, and international scientific communities. Acting as a knowledge broker between external groups and OAHPP scientific staff, the Specialist identifies and develops key strategies and tactics and stakeholder relationships to promote and advance OAHPP's knowledge exchange strategies.
- Assists with the development of a knowledge-exchange framework and strategy within OAHPP, and for the broader scientific community.
- Identify gaps and opportunities between internal resources and external requirements that align with OAHPP's strategy, and knowledge exchange strategy.
- Liaises with key external scientific stakeholders to develop partnerships in order to advance OAHPP's scientific and research capabilities in the area of knowledge exchange.
- Develops knowledge exchange plans including, developing tools, identification of audiences, messages and interventions to support OAHPP programs
- Develops knowledge-exchange policies to capture and build internal knowledge resources, based on best practices.
Reporting Relationship and Span of Control:
- At this point in time the Knowledge Exchange Specialist reports to the Vice President, Knowledge Exchange and Communications.
Knowledge and Skills
- Understanding of research methods (including systematic reviews)
- Expert knowledge of key roles and stakeholders in knowledge exchange; particularly in public health
- Effective presentation and facilitation skills
- Highly effective organizational skills, capable of transforming strategies into tangible tactics and action plans
- Results-orientated, with an accomplished record within a medium-large organization.
- Strong networking skills
- Demonstrated ability to research, analyze and develop knowledge exchange options and present proposals
- Ability to lead the design and implementation of complex public health priorities and to assess and synthesize information
- Consensus-building, consultation and negotiation skills
- Project management skills
- Understanding of health policy issues and health policy development as it relates to practice change processes with a history of involvement in/or knowledge of public health
- Ability to conceptualize easily, learn quickly and independently exercise good judgment and demonstrate initiative
- Superior report-writing and excellent oral presentation
- Strong organizational skills to manage workload with competing priorities in tight timeframes.
Education & Experience:
- Relevant advanced academic qualifications required (e.g. Masters in Public Health)
- Experience in Knowledge-Exchange/Knowledge-Transfer/Knowledge-Translation functions
- Demonstrated success working within interdisciplinary teams and in partnerships with groups such as expert volunteers, researchers, advocates, and service providers with excellent relationship-building skills.
Your cover letter and resume must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications and competencies.