Halifax, Nova Scotia
Deadline March 22, 2010
7 Months, with possibility of extension
The Health Promotion Clearinghouse (HPC) is a non-profit provincial resource system grounded in the principles of health promotion and population health. Serving more than 50,000 people and organizations annually, the mandate of HPC is to enhance capacity for health promotion and disease prevention in Nova Scotia. It provides tools, opportunities for networking, personalized support, and access to resources and expertise.
HPC is facilitating a project aimed at mobilizing collaborative action on poverty in Nova Scotia. We are recruiting a full-time coordinator to work in consultation with a multisectoral steering committee to manage the planning, delivery and follow-up of a 2-day poverty reduction conference. The conference will be held in Halifax in the fall of 2010, with an estimated 200 participants. The Coordinator will report directly to HPC’s Executive Director.
In consultation with a multisectoral Steering Committee, duties include, but are not limited to:
- Provide support to the Steering Committee(s) - e.g. organize meetings, prepare agendas, minutes and materials
- Liaise with the Steering Committee, conference stakeholders, speakers, facilitators, participants, venue, caterers, and others to ensure effective conference planning, delivery and follow-up
- Develop the 2-day conference program
- Develop the conference participant list
- Develop and implement a marketing and communications plan (including the use and maintenance of an online communication network)
- Identify and solicit corporate and other sponsors (cash and in-kind donations)
- Monitor budget and finances
- Undertake all logistical arrangements for the conference, including facilities and catering bookings, invitations/registration, arranging speakers/panels/facilitators, audiovisual and speaker needs, evaluation, etc.
- Manage databases, mailing list, registrations, logistics
- Recruit, train and coordinate volunteers
- Prepare a report on the conference proceedings and evaluation and disseminate to participants and other stakeholders
- Complete other conference follow-up activities
- Other project-related duties as required
Qualifications and Experience:
- Demonstrated experience in planning a conference, forum or related event
- Understanding of the impacts of poverty on the health of Nova Scotians
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills
- Strong computer skills (e.g. Word, Excel, databases, email, and online discussion forums/blogs)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Marketing and communications skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to fundraise with corporate and other sectors an asset
- Community development and/or adult education background an asset
The Coordinator will be housed at the Health Promotion Clearinghouse office on Dresden Row in Halifax.
Based on an annual salary of $48,000/year, pro-rated for 7 months. This is a salaried position, but we may consider a consultant contract if a suitable candidate is not found.
Send a cover letter, resumé, and the names of three references to Caroline Ploem by email to email@example.com
For information about HPC, please visit http://www.hpclearinghouse.ca
Application deadline: March 22, 2010 (by 12:00 PM)
HPC is an equal opportunity employer, and encourages applications from Aboriginal peoples, African Nova Scotians and other racialised persons, and persons with disabilities.
Please note that only candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.
To leave, manage or join list: https://listserv.yorku.ca/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=sdoh&A=1.