Deadline March 26, 2010
(Grid Level 901-950) CUPE Local 543.3
Reporting to the Manager of Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention, the Nutritionist will be working as part of a multi-disciplinary team within a research based, population health promotion framework. The Nutritionist will have a lead role in the planning, design, development and evaluation of nutrition and nutrition-related programs and activities. The position will have a key role in the planning, development, implementation, and evaluation of Chronic Disease Prevention programs and requirements as outlined in the Ontario Public Health Standards (2007). The position involves working inter-departmentally as well as with human service professionals, workplace health contacts, community groups, and coalitions.
- Assist in interpreting national, provincial and local surveys and Health Status reports in order to recommend relevant Nutrition programs and services.
- Advocate and assist in the design, implementation, and monitoring of policies that promote and support healthy eating in the school, workplace, and community environment.
- Design, implement, and evaluate strategies such as special events, communication campaigns, contests, and promotional activities in order to improve the nutrition knowledge, skills, attitudes, and behaviours of Windsor-Essex County residents.
- Work with local media by providing articles, conducting interviews, preparing media kits, hosting news conferences, developing media scripts in order to assist with correct interpretation of nutrition research, as well as encourage and promote positive nutrition behaviours.
- Provide leadership and support to relevant human service professionals, workplace health contacts, community groups, and coalitions.
- Promote good nutrition throughout the lifecycle by assisting with the research, design, development, implementation, and/or evaluation of nutrition education resources and programs.
- Interpret and disseminate scientific nutrition information and government guidelines.
- Identify and prepare grant proposals from time to time.
- Initiate, conduct and summarize topic specific literature reviews in order to support resource and program development.
The position requires:
- A minimum of a Masters Degree in Applied Human Nutrition or equivalent program.
- Current registration with the College of Dietitians of Ontario.
- At least one year’s experience working in the area of community health nutrition.
- A strong background in research, program evaluation, policy development, social marketing, and
- behaviour change models.
- Advanced communication, problem solving, analytical, time management and interpersonal skills.
- A high level of proficiency with word-processing, spread sheet, e-mail, world wide web and other current and other current and relevant software.
- A valid Ontario Driver’s Licence and access to a vehicle for use at work.
- Ability to communicate in French.
Qualified individuals are invited to forward a résumé and cover letter by March 26, 2010, to Nancy Smith, Manager of Human Resources, Windsor-Essex County Health Unit, 1005 Ouellette Ave., Windsor, ON N9A 4J8. Fax: (519) 258-6003, or by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.