Deadline May 18, 2010
7 month contract
SMARTRISK is a national, non-profit organization dedicated to preventing injuries and saving lives, by helping Canadians to see and manage risks in the smartest way possible. Our five key messages are: Buckle Up, Look First, Wear the Gear, Get Trained and Drive Sober.
SMARTRISK has two national programs for high school students:
SMARTRISK No Regrets is a peer leadership program that offers a permanent home in high schools for smart risk messages. Built on research that points to the power of peers in young people’s lives, SMARTRISK No Regrets trains student leaders and staff advisers to implement injury prevention activities and campaigns in their schools.
SMARTRISK No Regrets Live is a one-hour presentation that combines fast-paced video clips of young people taking risks with a live presentation by an injury survivor who speaks candidly about how the injury has affected their life, while presenting positive choices that can be made to reduce the risk of injury.
Role and Key Responsibilities
The Youth Program Assistant will report to the Youth Program Manager and Senior Program Coordinator to aid in supporting the SMARTRISK No Regrets and SMARTRISK No Regrets Live programs. Specifically, the Youth Programs Assistant will perform the following programming responsibilities (not limited to):
- Assist the Youth Program Coordinator in implementing the SMARTRISK No Regrets school support plan (including developing quarterly newsletters, contacting schools by email and phone with program updates and deadlines and packaging and mailing promotional materials and resources)
- Create new content and produce updates for the SMARTRISK No Regrets website (including the quarterly newsletter)
- Make updates to the SMARTRISK No Regrets Fan Page on Facebook and other social networking sites
- Develop, maintain and enhance data management systems for SMARTRISK No Regrets and SMARTRISK No Regrets Live
- Administer paperwork and filing and process payments and invoices
- Coordinate logistics related to SMARTRISK No Regrets training sessions and SMARTRISK No Regrets Live shows
- Implement marketing strategies for SMARTRISK No Regrets Live
- University degree with a specialization in health or education
- 2+ years of experience working with youth
- Background understanding of the secondary school system and proven ability to communicate with teachers
- Strong technical skills and experience with Mac OS
- Ability to manage, prioritize and execute multiple tasks and assignments in a timely manner
- Excellent collaboration skills with the ability to take direction from and work effectively with team members
- Willingness to take initiative and contribute new ideas
- First aid training and French are assets
Interested candidates should apply by email with a cover letter and resume to email@example.com before May 18, 2010.