Deadline: June 16, 2010
Windsor-Essex County Health Unit
HEALTH PROMOTION DIVISION
Comprehensive School Health
(Grid Level 901-950) CUPE Local 543.3
Reporting to the Manager of Comprehensive School Health, the Nutritionist will be working as part of a multi-disciplinary team within an evidence based, population health promotion framework. The Nutritionist will have a key role in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of strategies that address healthy eating and healthy weights in the school aged population (6-24 yrs). The position will support the Comprehensive School Health Department in meeting the nutrition requirements as outlined in the Ontario Public Health Standards (2008). The position involves working inter-departmentally as well as with school board professionals, parent advisory councils, community groups, and coalitions.
• Assist in interpreting national, provincial and local surveys and Health Status reports in order to recommend relevant Nutrition programs and services for the school aged population.
• Support school boards in implementing nutrition related policies as per government guidelines.
• Assist public health nurses in implementing Nutrition Tools for Schools© in elementary and secondary schools.
• Assist in the writing of the Child Health Status Report for Windsor-Essex County.
• Design, implement, and evaluate health promotion strategies such as special events, communication campaigns, contests, and promotional activities in order to improve the nutrition knowledge, skills, attitudes, and behaviours of the school aged population.
• Work with local media by providing articles and preparing media kits, and conducting interviews as applicable.
• Provide leadership and support to public health nurses, school personnel and community groups, and coalitions.
• Promote good nutrition for the school aged population by assisting with the research, design, development, implementation, and/or evaluation of nutrition education resources and programs.
• Write grant proposals as needed and conduct research as indicated.
• Initiate, conduct and summarize topic specific literature reviews in order to support resource and program development.
• Must work in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and all policies and procedures of the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit.
The position requires:
• A minimum of a Masters Degree in Applied Human Nutrition or equivalent program.
• Current registration with the College of Dietitians of Ontario.
• At least one year’s experience working in the area of community health nutrition.
• A strong background in research, program evaluation, policy development, social marketing, and
behaviour change models.
• Advanced communication, problem solving, analytical, time management and interpersonal skills.
• A high level of proficiency with word-processing, spread sheet, e-mail, world wide web and other current and relevant software.
• A valid Ontario Driver’s Licence and access to a vehicle for use at work.
• A current Police Clearance.
• Ability to communicate in French.
Qualified individuals are invited to forward a résumé and cover letter by June 16, 2010, to Nancy Smith, Manager of Human Resources, Windsor-Essex County Health Unit, 1005 Ouellette Ave., Windsor, ON N9A 4J8. Fax: (519) 258-6003, or by e mail: email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.