Deadline July 23, 2010
EVIDENCE is a unit of First Work. First Work advocates for a sustainable youth employment delivery network in Ontario. Through supporting the work of local youth employment centres across Ontario, First Work aims to help youth find and keep meaningful employment that will help improve the quality of their lives. Since 1988, First Work and our network of over 70 service organizations have been committed to delivering accessible, high quality, outcomes-based employment services to youth. First Work has also undertaken research focusing on issues related to youth employment in Ontario. The goals of our research are to address the needs of youth and to build a knowledge base that we can share with community organizations, governments and members of the general public.
EVIDENCE provides community-based research and program evaluation to service organizations, government departments and foundations focusing on issues related to youth across Ontario. In the past four years, EVIDENCE has conducted over 40 projects that meet stakeholders’ information needs and build their capacity. EVIDENCE primarily conducts qualitative research using a participatory approach and is developing its expertise in arts-based methods such as photovoice and life mapping. Community stakeholders are involved in every key area of the research, and the time and resources they need to invest is adjusted according to their capacity. We believe in research that is done by, for and with community members, who have a voice in determining why and how the research is being done.
Overview of Position
The Researcher is primarily responsible for delivering community-based research and evaluation services to client organizations. EVIDENCE employs a participatory approach where the Researcher also acts as a facilitator, collaborator, learning resource, and manager for the project. S/he plans, oversees and performs work at all stages of the research process. Each project is unique so the Researcher needs to use a different combination of skills each time.
The Researcher is accountable to the Research Manager, EVIDENCE.
Under the direction of the Research Manager, the Researcher:
- Conducts situational analyses of programs and their organizations.
- Plans and designs research and evaluation projects.
- Conducts data collection, analysis and interpretation.
- Fulfills reporting requirements to clients.
- Facilitates stakeholders’ meetings.
- Engages in business practices and marketing.
- Performs project management.
- Assists the Research Manager with other duties as assigned including:
- University degree (post-graduate preferred) with demonstrated academic achievement in social sciences, health sciences or related discipline.
- At least five years demonstrated experience in several of the following: community-based research, program evaluation, group facilitation, organizational development, program development and design, and/or public policy development
- Excellent organizational skills, interpersonal skills, facilitation skills, time/ project management skills, and attention to detail
- Proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Internet Explorer
- Comfort and competence researching and analyzing both qualitative data
- Aptitude for translating research findings into action
- Knowledge of adult learning, education and training
- Valid drivers license is required
- Access to a vehicle is preferred
In addition, the ideal candidate will be selected for this position because it matches their long-term career plans in terms of its:
- flexibility to accommodate life-work balance
- focus of the work on community-based research and evaluation
- context within a small-to medium sized organization with a provincial focus.
- Part-time to begin with (2 to 3 days per week) with the potential to increase to full-time depending on funding
- Position duration: 1 year contract with the possibility of renewal
- Salary range $45,173 - $49,874 pro-rated depending on qualifications
- Flexible hours
Please see our website http://www.evidenceconsulting.org/ for more information. Please submit a covering letter and resume by e-mail to: Lavinia Lamenza, Research Manager at: email@example.com. Please state “EVIDENCE Researcher” in the subject line.
Position will be kept open until a suitable candidate is found. Deadline for submission is July 23, 2010.