Deadline August 31, 2010
This is a 26 week position, 5 days per week.
The Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work (FIFSW) is responsible for the educational and practical development of MSW and PhD students at the University of Toronto. The range of stakeholders includes but is not limited to students, Field Instructors, course instructors, researchers, sponsors and government representatives. The Faculty has responsibilities such as education of students, research, collaborative projects and knowledge exchange, develops materials for field instructors and coordinates networks among stakeholders on specific issues. All of these initiatives require support and communications expertise.
FIFSW is looking for a Communications Intern to assist with the development, implementation and evaluation of communications activities at the FIFSW at the University of Toronto. The successful candidate will be a communications /journalism graduate with strong communications and editing skills. Based on the requirements of the funding program for this position (see Career Focus program web site at http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/epb/yi/yep/newprog/career.shtml) eligible applicants must meet all of the criteria described under Requirements of Career Focus program in the Qualifications section below.
Reporting to the Director of Advancement, the Communications Intern is responsible for the development and implementation of FIFSW’s communications and marketing plans.
Overview of activities related to this position
- Assist with the development, implementation and evaluation of communications activities at the FIFSW at the University of Toronto
- Assist with media work, publications, workshops etc.
- Assist staff of the FIFSW with responses to inquiries as appropriate
- Collaborate with FIFSW staff with the development of summaries for the website, and other communiqués
- Assist with the identification and development of strategic partnerships to meet communications objectives
- Work with the FIFSW to formulate and integrate communications strategies for optimal communications impact of reports, information sheets and other publications, workshops and other events
- Review and recommend updates to the design and content of the FIFSW website
- Provide staff support to relevant committees and projects. In consultation with staff, this may include:
- Development of agendas, meeting package, meeting notes
- Presentation of briefs or materials
- Implementation of directives of committee members
- Education at a college or Masters level in communications or marketing plus at least 2 years’ experience in communications related to health promotion, community development work, or equivalent mix of education and experience
- Demonstrated experience in: web-site writing and maintenance; production of education materials; communications for the non-profit sector; media relations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills: verbal and written communication; ability to motivate, problem-solve and handle conflict
- Ability to take on multiple responsibilities and to manage tasks and projects with minimal supervision
- Excellent computer skills with demonstrated experience using MS Publisher, Adobe Dreamweaver, MS Illustrator/Photoshop or other design programs, as well as skills in the MS Office Suite
- Experience and ability to work with diverse stakeholder groups; e.g. students, practitioners, researchers, educators, associations, institutions and community groups, government and private sector
- Demonstrated project management experience with the ability to take ownership and lead projects/initiatives
- Ability to develop, implement and evaluate communications strategies
- Knowledge of AODA Customer Services requirements is a strong asset
- Excellent written and verbal skills in English, including editing, proofreading and presentation skills
- As per Requirements of Career Focus program:
- Post secondary graduate
- Not currently in school
- A Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee status has been conferred
- Not currently receiving Employment Insurance Benefits
- Under 30 years of age
To apply: Please forward your resume with a cover letter highlighting your suitability for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:00 p.m. August 31, 2010. FIFSW thanks all applicant, however will only be able to respond to those who are selected for interviews. Interviews will take place (tentatively) September 7 and 8, 2010.