Region of Peel, Ontario
Deadline November 22, 2010
Health Services – Chronic Disease & Injury Prevention
Temporary Assignment Duration: approximately 8-10 weeks
The Chronic Disease division of Peel Health Services is conducting a school health assessment of students in grades 7 to 12 in the Region of Peel. One component of this assessment is to conduct fitness appraisals and its purpose is to monitor trends in fitness levels, and examine relationships between fitness and health. As a School Health Fitness Assessor, you will be an integral member of the assessment team responsible for performing fitness appraisals in a high school setting. The fitness protocol will consist of two primary components: cardiorespiratory fitness and muscular fitness.
You will be responsible for the administration of quality fitness appraisals; provide a positive and interactive environment for students; attend mandatory training of fitness appraisal protocol (i.e. equipment setup and calibration, fitness appraisal; collection and analysis of data, sensitivity training, quality assurance etc). You will also assist with day to day operations and ongoing planning and delivery of the project and work collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team environment (i.e. Public Health Nurses, Health Promoters, and Epidemiologists).
- a minimum enrollment in second year of a bachelor degree in Kinesiology, Health Sciences or related health field
- experience/knowledge in fitness appraisals (i.e. The Canadian Physical Activity, Fitness & Lifestyle Approach (CPAFLA) manual)
- strong knowledge of non-clinical and clinical
- health, fitness and exercise science applications
- excellent oral and written communication skills
- demonstration of self-motivation
- an ability to work in a fast paced, results oriented environment
- strong organizational skills
- research and statistical skills
- a valid class G driver’s license and access to a vehicle
- access to a cellular phone
- current CPR certification and a Police Record Check obtained within six months of date of hire prior to being hired
Hourly rate: $18.91+ 4% vacation pay bi-weekly + mileage allowance
Hours of work: Monday to Friday between from 7:00 am – 4:30 pm, up to 25 hours/week
Training dates: 3 days in mid or late January 2011
Start date: February 7, 2011
Location: Various high schools in the Region of Peel (Brampton, Caledon, Mississauga)
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online to http://www.peelregion.ca/jobs, by November 22, 2010, and you will be invited to complete a mandatory questionnaire.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.