Deadline December 13, 2010
The Health and Social Services Department provides services to Norfolk County and Haldimand County which are single tier municipalities located on the North Shore of Lake Erie in Southwestern Ontario. Both Counties offer abundant recreational and lifestyle opportunities.
Permanent Full Time
The Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit has a challenging opportunity available for a Manager. You will work within a shared leadership model with the Medical Officer of Health; to recruit and manage an effective team to meet the mandate of the Health Unit while fostering a continuous learning culture within a unionized environment; to ensure there is a planning framework based on best practice that ensures the effective and efficient use of resources while addressing the needs of the community, within the public health mandate; to ensure the mandate of the Health Unit is fulfilled within the approved budget; and to build effective relationships within Haldimand and Norfolk to foster trust and the opportunity for collaboration and integration. We need your diverse skills to:
- Manage the Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit within the Health and Social Services Department.
- Manage such human resource initiatives as recruitment and selection of staff, reports to Council regarding staffing, hire and coach new Program Coordinators, administration and non-union staff; monitor performance and conduct performance appraisals and participate in union negotiations.
- Develop and implement strategic planning including, mission statement, goals and objectives.
- Develop and monitor short-term planning framework (operational planning) to ensure priorities are identified and set in relation to the Ontario Public Health Standards and relevant legislation.
- Oversee the development and monitoring of Operational and Capital Budgets for the Division.
- Promote and maintain public image, as well as participate in community initiatives maintaining excellent relationships with community partners.
- Act as a media spokesperson; liaise with Ministry and other Health Units.
- Participate with General Manager in departmental initiatives.
- Post graduate degree in health sciences, business/public administration or equivalent.
- Five (5) to seven (7) years experience at the management level.
- Work experience in the field of public health.
- Knowledge of numerous pieces of legislation, including the Health Protection & Promotion Act, Day Nurseries Act, Food Safety Act, Consent to Treatment Act, and Substitute Decisions Act.
- Important competencies include: accountability, teamwork, self management, results orientation, decision making, diplomacy and tact and leading others.
- Experience in strategic planning, budget preparation, labour relations and negotiations, and program planning and evaluation.
- Be proactive in adhering to Health and Safety practices.
Norfolk County offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package. Qualified individuals are invited to submit a detailed resume, in confidence, by 4:30 p.m. December 13, 2010 to:
Human Resources & Staff Development, Norfolk County
21 Lynnwood Avenue
Simcoe ON N3Y 2V7
Or e-mail to email@example.com
All applications will be held in strict confidence. We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used for employment assessment purposes only.
Visit us at http://www.norfolkcounty.ca.