Deadline December 13, 2010
Maytree is seeking an experienced and enthusiastic writer, content developer and web editor to join the Cities of Migration team as Writer / Web Editor to research and write profiles of successful integration practices; to manage the project’s newsletter and ezine; and to support related communications needs.
This is a full-time contract for a one-year position (1.0 FTE) based in Toronto.
Maytree is a private Canadian charitable foundation established in 1982, committed to reducing poverty and inequality in Canada and to building strong civic communities. Maytree seeks to accomplish its objectives by identifying, supporting and funding ideas, leaders and leading organizations that have the capacity to make change and advance the common good.
Cities of Migration is an international initiative that aims to improve the integration of urban migrants in cities around the world through the exchange of successful practices and learning activities. Led by Maytree, with partners in Canada, the UK, Germany, Spain, the US and New Zealand, Cities of Migration serves a diverse group of city-level actors with a stake in the successful integration of urban migrants.
Role and Responsibilities
The role of the Writer / Web Editor is
- to write stories about innovative integration practice and enhance related original content on the Cities of Migration website (http://www.citiesofmigration.ca); and
- to promote its development as an innovative, exciting, distinctive, and accessible space for the promotion of practical, evidence based local responses to immigrant integration, diversity and inclusion in global cities.
The main tasks of the Writer / Web Editor are
- to research and write compelling stories about effective immigrant integration practices for the curated collection of Good Ideas in Integration;
- to write, edit and commission articles, compile and edit the Cities of Migration e-newsletter and online ezine, and oversee editorial standards for the citiesofmigration.ca website;
- to identify updates and news by and about our network, partners and affiliates and identify content on other websites for our newsletter and ezine;
- to establish and manage relationships with content partners, guest authors, etc.;
- to contribute to the strategic development of the project’s learning exchange and associated media communications;
- to develop and maintain presence on social media sites;
- to implement Maytree house style when writing or editing materials and adhere to the organization’s policies in the written word and use of images.
Proven, high-quality journalistic, editorial and IT skills including:
- Ability to produce compelling, imaginative copy tailored for different audiences
- Ability to recognize a story
- Ability to explain complex issues in accessible motivating language
- Excellent editing, copy-editing and proof-reading skills
- Solid understanding of editorial and production processes, from commissioning to finished product
- Ability to use a range of web-publishing tools, including content management systems
- Superior writing skills, as demonstrated through a publication record, or other evidence of writing ability; must provide a recent writing sample
- 3-5 years work experience in communications, media, research or other relevant area
- Strong research and evaluation skills
- Experience in web communication, e-journalism or related online media
- Good organizational skills, ability to meet deadlines, ability to work independently, flexibly, creatively and able to take initiative
- Strong computer skills
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in social sciences or urban preferred
- Ability to conduct and evaluate research using web-based and print sources, through interviews, focus groups, etc.
- Resourcefulness and creativity in identifying new information/data, etc., and in presenting information in an interesting and cogent format
- Meticulous and consistent attention to detail – the post-holder will be required to produce accurate, high standard correspondence, articles and reports
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to handle a wide range of contacts with tact and persuasiveness and to brief contributors of copy
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and work independently with flexibility and initiative
- Developed understanding of Web 2.0 technology
- Desirable: Knowledge and awareness of immigrant, integration or migration issues in Canada or internationally
Terms and Conditions
- This is a full-time contract position for 12 months. The contract may be extended.
- Salary is competitive, and commensurate with experience
- This position is available immediately
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample to email@example.com by December 13, 2010. We appreciate your interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.