Deadline January 21, 2011
The Association of Ontario Health Centres (AOHC) is the policy and advocacy organization for non-profit, community-governed, interdisciplinary primary health care organizations. Our member centres throughout Ontario deliver community-based primary health care, health promotion and illness prevention services. Our members are Ontario's Community Health Centres, Aboriginal Health Access Centres and Community Family Health Teams.
The Administrative Assistant will provide support to the Manager of Policy and Government Relations, Strategic Communications and Campaigns Manager, Communications Coordinator and Centre Development Team.
The ideal candidate for this position must have excellent administrative and organizational skills, highly-developed skills in minute-taking, word processing and experience working with online tools, an understanding and experience of a fast-moving workplace environment, superior written and oral communication skills and good attention to detail. The successful applicant will have the ability to work collaboratively with a highly dynamic, diverse and energetic team in a culturally-competent environment.
- Assists with the planning, coordination and execution of all logistical components for campaigns and events within budget and required timelines
- Provides on-site support for campaign and other events
- Assists with set-up and staffing of display tables at events and Conferences
- Responds to communication-related requests from member Centres
- Tracks, monitors and summarizes issues (e.g Hansard, news, legislation, LHIN and MOHLTC bulletins, etc.)
- Tracks communications in and from member Centres (branding, public relations, etc.)
- Scans relevant media resources, collects news clippings, checks press releases and shares new information with colleagues
- Provides support to select Committees and Working Groups: arranging travel and accommodations, preparing correspondence, materials, agendas and minutes of meetings, providing logistical support
- Assists with the development, assembling and distribution of campaign and meeting materials
- Creates and maintains contact lists and performs data entry requirements
- Updates AOHC’s public website and Relationship Management database with current data and information
- Conducts sector surveys by using online tools (e.g. Survey Monkey, email etc.)
- Performs administrative duties: minute-taking, meeting scheduling, meeting logistics, word processing, filing, photo-copying, faxing, scanning, preparation of mailings, courier packages and other usual office duties
- Reception back-up as required
- Other duties as assigned from time to time.
Qualification & Experience
- Undergraduate degree or community college diploma in relevant areas of study, such as Business Administration, Political Science or equivalent
- Minimum 3 years experience as an administrative assistant in a strategic communication and advocacy environment
- Proven ability to take minutes
- An interest in communications, advocacy and government relations
- Proven leadership skills, including the ability to set priorities, manage time effectively, and contribute to a team environment
- Experience in a non-profit, advocacy organization or a Provincial Association in the health-care sector
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills with strong attention to detail
- Proficiency in the use of Windows XP, Vista and Microsoft Office (version 2010) software applications: Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Experience with online tools: Survey Monkey, Facebook, Twitter
- Ability to work with multiple priorities and manage several projects simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build a solid network of external contacts
- Self-directed, with ability to work with limited supervision
- Conducts work in keeping with AOHC’s commitment to Anti-Oppression, Cultural Competency and as per the Ontario Government Employment and Safety legislation
- Committed to and supportive of the mission of the AOHC
- Bilingualism in English and French a strong asset
AOHC offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. Salary will be offered based on qualifications, experience and within the Organization’s established salary grid policy guidelines.
Applications will be accepted until 5:00 p.m. (Eastern Daylight Time) on January 21, 2011.
Start Date: January 2011
Please e-mail your cover letter and resumé in confidence to: Sandra Wong, firstname.lastname@example.org
Only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
AOHC is an Equity Employer and encourages applications from Aboriginal peoples, individuals from racialized and minoritized groups (e.g. diverse ethno-racial and francophone communities and people of all sexual orientations and identifies) and persons with disability.