Deadline January 18, 2011
SMARTRISK is a national, non-profit organization dedicated to preventing injuries and saving lives, by helping Canadians to see and manage risks in the smartest way possible. Our five key messages are: Buckle Up, Look First, Wear the Gear, Get Trained and Drive Sober.
Vision: A Canada where youth enjoy life to the fullest, injury-free.
Mission: To empower youth through education, programming and policy change to recognize and manage their risks of injury in the smartest ways possible.
Currently SMARTRISK is meeting this vision through two national programs for secondary school students:
- SMARTRISK No Regrets is a peer leadership program that promotes smart risk taking while participating in activities such as: driving, biking, skiing, snowboarding and skateboarding. Built on research that points to the power of peers in young people’s lives, SMARTRISK No Regrets trains student leaders and staff advisers to implement injury prevention activities and campaigns in their schools.
- SMARTRISK No Regrets Live is a one-hour show that combines fast-paced video of young people taking risks with a live presentation by an injury survivor who speaks candidly about how the injury has affected their life, while offering positive choices that can be made to reduce the risk of injury.
Role and Key Responsibilities
The Youth Program Manager will report to the Vice President, Programs and Services and lead the programming of both SMARTRISK No Regrets and SMARTRISK No Regrets Live. Specifically, the Youth Program Manager will perform the following responsibilities (not limited to):
- Supervise and mentor a team of staff to design, deliver and expand the No Regrets and No Regrets Live programs.
- Manage the overall program budgets for both youth programs and provide direction to staff on related budgetary items.
- Play a key role in leading the programs' strategic planning process under the direction of the Vice President, Programs and Services.
- Work with the youth program team to develop new program initiatives as required.
- Direct the ongoing development of youth programs based on feedback and lessons learned.
- Train youth program staff, volunteers and partners in addition to No Regrets schools and No Regrets Live presenters.
- Oversee the evaluation of No Regrets and No Regrets Live and facilitate the implementation of good practices related to evidenced-based programming.
- Assume responsibility for the majority of stakeholder relations including securing new youth program sponsors and reporting to existing partners.
- Support the organization's fundraising initiatives including youth program proposal and grant writing activities.
- Administer the capturing and transferring of knowledge and expertise related to No Regrets and No Regrets Live programming initiatives.
- Master's degree in the area of education, health promotion or another related field.
- Three or more years experience in program design and delivery. A background in e-learning is an asset.
- Three or more years experience in training and facilitation.
- Formal knowledge and background managing program budgets.
- Comprehensive understanding of education system and capacity to liaise with school boards, principles, educators and support staff.
- Knowledge of evaluation methodologies and familiarity with qualitative and quantitative analysis.
- Proven ability to successfully manage staff.
- Experience managing financial partners.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Exceptional communication skills with superior presentation and writing abilities.
- Strong technical skills and experience with Mac OS.
- Standard first aid and CPR training and French language fluency are assets.
Interested candidates should apply by email with a cover letter and resume to email@example.com before Tuesday, January 18, 2011.
Please note that this is a fulltime, permanent position which includes a competitive salary and comprehensive benefit package.