Deadline February 3, 2011
1 Year Contract
Ophea is a dynamic not-for-profit organization with a staff of approximately 30 individuals. Ophea exists to support schools and communities through quality program supports, partnerships and advocacy to enable children and youth to lead healthy active lives. Services are provided to a variety of individuals including elementary and secondary school teachers, public health professionals, and recreation leaders. Ophea also works closely with provincial government ministries, corporations, and other not-for-profit organizations.
A Research & Evaluation Leader is required by Ophea for a one year maternity leave replacement to provide leadership and research and evaluation expertise to support planning and implementation of Ophea’s funded deliverables and organizational priorities.
Knowledge (formal education or general knowledge) required:
Post Secondary Education in Health Sciences, Health Promotion, Statistics or Business Management, with a strong background in research and program evaluation. Knowledge of and experience related to health and physical education, physical activity, health promotion and the Ontario education sector is an asset. Bilingualism is also an asset.
Skills & Experience required:
3-5 years experience in planning and coordinating research and evaluation activities including current knowledge of various quantitative, qualitative and program evaluation methodologies. This position will require strong research, writing, and reporting skills; strong project management skills including planning, budgeting and monitoring. Also required are strong people skills and a strong attention to detail with a demonstrated ability to problem solve, meet deadlines and juggle multiple tasks and competing priorities at one time. Experience in coordinating, communicating and working with external suppliers is required. Understanding and experience with research tools (e.g. Survey Monkey, Web Tracking Software) is required. Ability to work on a team and independently is also a requirement.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Leads program research and evaluation activities and provides input to project implementation teams
- Leads the development of Program Evaluation Plans and budgets
- Implements and/or monitors implementation of Program Evaluation Plans and budgets; oversees Project Coordinators assigned to support implementation
- Develops workplans and critical paths as required to execute the Evaluation Plans; tracks and monitors workplans
- Develops and/or supports the development of research instruments and protocols (e.g. needs assessments, resource reviews, pilot/field tests, client feedback surveys)
- Conducts and/or coordinates external suppliers to develop literature reviews and environmental scans to monitor relevant issues and trends related to Ophea’s business
- Conducts and/or coordinates external suppliers to conduct focus groups, key informant interviews and surveys related to concept testing and pilot testing of initiatives.
- Analyzes data and writes program evaluation reports
- Responsible for quality control of all research and evaluation activities conducted for Ophea; ensures consistent use of common tools and/or approaches where applicable
- Supports the development of project annual activity plans and budgets
- Participates actively in implementation team meetings
Leads organizational research and evaluation activities
- Gathers information to support program and organizational planning
- Leads the development and implements and/or monitors implementation of annual Organizational Evaluation Plan (e.g. Balanced Scorecard, Strategic Planning evaluation activities)
- Ensures consistent use of common tools and/or approaches (e.g. tracking) where applicable to allow for annual “roll up” of organizational data (e Balanced Scorecard)
- Provides expert support to the Management Team to interpret and apply evaluation results to organizational and initiative/program planning
Interacts with relevant consultants/suppliers
- Manages external consultants and suppliers based upon negotiated deliverables
Coordinates administrative functions
- Maintains accurate project records and files, manually and electronically
- Other duties as assigned.
To apply, please forward your resume to Ophea no later than February 3, 2011 to:
1 Concorde Gate, Suite 608
North York, Ontario M3C 3N6
Fax: (416) 426-7373
Please note: Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.