Deadline February 18, 2011
Location: 12 Gilbertson Drive
Reports To: Manager, Public Health
Employee Group: Non-Union
Salary: $74,190 - $92,747 Per Annum
Status: Permanent Full Time
To ensure the requirements of several of the Ontario Public Health Standards are met specifically in the areas of Environmental Health and Emergency Preparedness as per the Health Protection and Promotion Act and other relevant legislation
Knowledge /Skills Required:
- Completion of a university undergraduate degree in Public Health Inspection or equivalent.
- Certification by the Canadian Institute of Public Health Inspectors.
- Experience (at least 5 years) in management.
- Masters degree in Public Health, Health Sciences or equivalent is an asset.
- Proven management skills and knowledge including working within a unionized environment.
- Knowledge and skills in public health surveillance, investigation, outbreak contingencies and inspection, enforcement, evidence-based planning, risk communication and emergency planning.
- Ability to adapt to priorities which can change rapidly
- Proven time management skills and ability to manage multiple projects.
- Diplomacy and political astuteness.
- Data analysis, research skills, program planning, evaluation and strategic planning.
- Budget/financial management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills (word processing, spreadsheets and data base programs)
- Conflict resolution/negotiation skills internally with staff and externally where enforcement and legal action is required.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Ensure that effective programs are in place to meet the requirements identified in the Ontario
- Public Health Standards.
- Manage the human resources within the Healthy Environment Team of the Health Unit.
- Participate in the planning, monitoring and tracking of financial budgets allocated to the Healthy Environment Team.
- Actively participate as a member of the Health Unit Management Committee.
- Develop and implement strategic, operational and program plans including process, impact and outcome evaluation.
- Communicate complex health information (verbally and in writing) with the community, local agencies, governing bodies and ministry officials.
- Manage outbreaks, emergencies and recalls such as spills, floods, fires, and food recalls where health hazards or potential health hazards exist.
- Enforce compliance with relevant regulation and legislation. To abate public health hazards.
Only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
Posting # NU 3.11
Posting Period: January 31-February 18, 2011
NOTE: Interested applicants MUST submit their resume in confidence to the Human Resources / Staff Dev. Department by 4:30 p m. on the last day of the posting.
Human Resources & Staff Development Department
Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit
21 Lynnwood Avenue
Simcoe, Ontario N3Y 2V7
Phone: (519) 428-9711
Fax: (519) 426-9876
Thank you for your interest in this position. Incumbent to this position must provide the Employer with a current Criminal Reference Check and a current Immunization Record.
An equal opportunity employer
Note: As per current legislation, if it is determined that those employees with priority placement status are suitable for this job, before a selection decision has been made, this competition may be cancelled.