Deadline February 18, 2011
Department/Business Unit: Health Promotion, Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention
Reports To: Director, Health Promotion, Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention
Posting Date: February 4, 2011
Closing Date: February 18, 2011
The Ontario Agency for Health Protection and Promotion (OAHPP) is an arm's-length government agency dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, OAHPP links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
OAHPP provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians. For more information about OAHPP, visit http://www.oahpp.ca.
Purpose of Position:
Reporting to the Strategic Advisor, Health Promotion, Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention (HPCDIP), and working with the Senior Health Promotion Field Support Specialist , Director and members of the HPCDIP team, and Ontario resource centres’ staff, this position will be responsible for the design and delivery of province-wide and regional (within Ontario) workshops, e-learning events and tailored consultations related to the planning and sustainability of health promotion and chronic disease prevention programs as well as the development of health promoting policies. In addition, the specialist will be responsible for the updating and maintenance of relevant planning, policy development and sustainability resource materials (i.e., workbooks, workshop and e-learning event slides, resource lists, info packs) and supporting the development of new resource materials as needed.
This is a part time (0.8) fixed contract (one year with possible extension) position however OAHPP may be open to a job sharing employment arrangement.
This position is primarily located at 480 University Avenue in Toronto however occasional province wide travel is required.
- Conceptualizing and delivering in-person and virtual training events aimed at building the planning, program sustainability and policy development capacity of health promotion practitioners at Ontario’s public health units;
- Providing technical assistance (i.e., advice and support) related to program planning, sustainability and policy development in response to requests from the field;
- Supporting Ontario health units with planning, program sustainability and policy development requirements pertaining to the implementation of the Ministry of Health Promotion and Sport’s Ontario Public Health Standards and the Foundational Standard;
- Updating and maintenance of relevant OAHPP training materials and resources on the planning and sustainability of health promotion/chronic disease prevention initiatives as well as the development of health promotion policies;
- Assisting in the development of new OAHPP training materials on program planning, sustainability, policy development and other resources as needed, including the identification and synthesis of new and emerging evidence on best practices to guide the creation of resources and training modules/curricula ;
- Providing HPCDIP with strategic advice on health promotion capacity building;
- Developing and maintaining collaborative working relationships within OAHPP and its health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention networks and partners;
- Representing the OAHPP and promoting its mandate and strategic initiatives through presentations, attendance at conferences and other activities;
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills:
- A minimum of 5 years experience with supporting the program planning, program sustainability and policy development capacity building needs of Ontario public health practitioners through training and technical assistance ;
- Experience with the design of training events for a public health audience;
- Superior knowledge of health promotion, program planning/sustainability and policy development theory and practice;
- Strong ability to facilitate collective problem solving related to program planning/sustainability and policy development challenges;
- Proven ability to conceptualize and develop training and capacity building products in response to the identified learning needs of public health practitioners;
- Demonstrated computer and data management skills with proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project 2003) and familiarity with SharePoint;
- Superior oral and written communication skills in English; French language proficiency an asset;
- Ability to work under pressure and respond to deadlines in a fast-paced environment;
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork and relationship building skills;
- Excellent problem solving skills.
Education and Experience
Masters degree in public health, social sciences, planning, public policy, adult education or related discipline (or appropriate combination of undergraduate degree and relevant experience)
If you are interested in applying to this position, please go to http://www.oahpp.ca/careers and click on the job title. Applications must be received by Feb 18, 2011.