Deadline March 11, 2011
1 Full-Time Permanent Position
Black Creek Community Health Centre is a non-profit, community based organization that provides health care services and works with people to create safe and healthy communities. The Centre is funded by the Central Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) and has received additional funding from the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care for the expansion of the Diabetes Education Program. We are currently seeking 1 Registered Nurse Educator to join our team. Working closely with the Registered Dietitians and Community Health Worker, the Nurse Educator is responsible for supporting the development and implementation of the Diabetes Education Program. This will include assessment, group education sessions and individual counseling to those with pre-diabetes and Type 2 diabetes.
- Participate in program planning and resource development
- Conduct thorough nursing assessment of clients with diabetes, taking into consideration cultural background and the social determinants of health
- Use a variety of teaching methods and principles of education to assist clients to gain the knowledge, skills and confidence to self manage their diabetes
- Ensure continuity of care by maintaining up to-date medical records, communication with the client’s primary care provider and other service providers
- Engage in health promotion activities on and off site in collaboration with other service providers
- Act as a diabetes resource to staff members and community partners
- Contribute to policy development in relation to health care service delivery and/or professional practice
- RN Diploma or BScN Degree or recognized equivalent
- Certificate of registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Minimum 2 years experience within Diabetes Education Program or related position
- Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) preferred or willingness to obtain within 2 years
- Experience in program development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Experience in group facilitation and knowledge of adult education methods
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Sensitivity and awareness of cultural, racial, economic and socially diverse communities
- Commitment to and knowledge of community-based health care and resources
- Experienced in the use of computers and various software applications
- Proficiency in a second language an asset
- A nice sense of humour wouldn’t hurt.
Start Date: April 2011
Interested candidates are invited to submit a resume and cover letter by March 11, 2011 to the attention of:
Black Creek Community Health Centre
Suite 5 - 2202 Jane Street
Toronto, ON M3M 1A4
Note: No faxes or e-mails will be accepted.
Black Creek CHC offers a competitive salary with a comprehensive benefits package, along with a positive and rewarding work environment. Our goal is to recruit and retain individuals who are highly motivated to work with us in achieving our mission of enhancing community health. We encourage applications from candidates who reflect the diversity of our community.