Deadline March 31, 2011
Two permanent positions available
The Chief Medical Officer of Health (CMOH) plays a critical and strategic role in leading Ontario's public health system. In addition to providing expertise in public health and disease prevention, the CMOH fulfills legislated obligations and is a catalyst for the integration of public health across government.
We have an exciting opportunity for Strategic and Policy Advisors to provide policy leadership and expertise. Your work will have a direct impact on the strategic direction for policy and related public health initiatives in Ontario.
In this role, you will:
- provide strategic advice and leadership in the development, evaluation and implementation of effective policy initiatives;
- manage key relationships and linkages with stakeholders to analyse impacts and ensure timely information sharing;
- review and develop policy submissions and identify policy options and contentious issues;
- monitor, track, report and evaluate policy strategy and its progress, issues and outcomes;
- support and influence the development of the public health strategic direction, key priorities, framework and related policy standards;
- represent the CMOH on policy projects and cross-functional teams.
Location: 80 Grosvenor Street, Toronto, Ontario
What we are looking for:
Policy Development, Program Delivery and Evaluation Knowledge:
- you have knowledge of strategy and policy development, policy and research tools and methods and techniques and you understand the benefits and limitations of policy and program evaluation;
- you have knowledge of performance management methodologies and metrics;
- you have knowledge of how policy is implemented and delivered and you can interpret and apply policy and legislative processes.
Health Care Knowledge:
- you have knowledge of the public health system, health promotion trends, models of delivery, funding, governance and related legislation;
- you have a general knowledge of the broader health care system and how public health fits in;
- you understand the critical issues and concerns faced by public health and health promotion stakeholders;
- you have a strong political acuity.
Analytical and Strategic-Thinking Skills:
- you can access, utilize and interpret public health, health promotion and health system issues within the provincial, national and international context and analyse risks and barriers;
- you can identify strategic linkages within a policy context and apply strategic and critical thinking to your work.
Communication, Relationship Management and Computer Skills:
- you can work with internal and external stakeholders, identify opportunities for cross-government collaboration and foster stakeholder relationships;
- you can prepare and present complex issues analyses, detailed risks and briefing papers;
- you can access the Internet as a research tool and use office software to prepare a variety of material.
Project Management Skills:
- you can provide leadership on concurrent policy projects and work collaboratively with team members to meet deadlines and competing priorities.
Salary range: $72,003.00 - $93,346.00 per annum
Please apply online, by March 31, 2011, by visiting http://www.ontario.ca/careers and entering Job ID 34245 in the Job ID search field. Please follow the instructions to submit your application online. Faxes are not being accepted at this time. If you need employment accommodation, please contact us at http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code.