Deadline April 10, 2011
The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Social Services Policy and Program Liaison with the Community and Social Services Department, Community Engagement and Social Services Liaison Division. Reporting to the General Manager of Community Engagement, this position will support the development and delivery of a comprehensive strategy for social services that correlates the expenditure of public civic resources to agreed community driven goals and objectives on well being and quality of life. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the City that makes a difference.
- Act as the departmental liaison in providing strategic advice to elected officials and staff on the City’s investment of Social Services with a focus on quality customer service, continuous improvement processes, best practice and service integration.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the work of the Consolidated Municipal Service Manager (CMSM) and build constructive relationships that support effective and efficient services and take strategic advantage of funding opportunities from other levels of government.
- Lead the research and analysis of social services policies, programs and services to ensure effectiveness and impact.
- Support the development of a Community Well being Plan.
- Assess new and existing provincial and federal legislation, policies and programs to determine their impact on existing, or planned programs and policies and make recommendations to the General Manager, Executive Director and elected officials on courses of action.
- Provide ongoing analysis of technical trends, developments, advances and best practices in the delivery of social services including: Ontario Work, Child Care and Social Housing with attention to service integration and local community needs.
- Lead project teams to implement new initiatives including contracting consultants, developing the scope of work, and providing oversight to achieving the deliverables.
- Provide project management support to operational reviews and studies.
- Facilitate public consultation and liaison in a positive and inclusive manner, using a wide range of tools and methods, often on politically sensitive issues.
- Manage and develop responses to policy/program issues ensuring effective briefing, strategic advice, options and recommendations to the General Manager and Executive Director.
- Prepare and present reports and presentations on policies, plans and reviews to Management Teams, community representatives and partners and Council.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a university degree business administration, public administration, social sciences or related discipline and considerable experience, preferably in the government, non profit or community services sector organization, in research, planning and policy development. Candidates with an equivalent education and experience may be considered.
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written) with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders and the general public.
- Ability to develop various facilitation models and present at public meetings.
- Knowledge of the Municipal Act, Day Nurseries Act, Social Housing Reform Act and the Ontario Works Act.
- Ability to consolidate, interpret and analyze information and statistical data to formulate recommendations
- Advanced computer skills with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point) and project management software e.g. Microsoft Project.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple assignments in order to meet deadlines in a very demanding environment.
- A team player with excellent customer service and interpersonal skills, able to respect and deal with highly confidential and sensitive issues.
- Strong negotiation and diplomacy skills with the ability to problem solve and develop credible long-term and short-term strategies and plans.
Rate: $57,818.16 - $72,272.71
Applications must be received online by April 10th, 2011. Please note you will be required to complete a short online questionnaire specific to this position as part of the application process. To apply for this position visit http://www.guelph.ca/careers.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment.
We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.