Don Mills, Ontario
Deadline May 1, 2011
As a member of the Health Promotion team, the Community Health Worker’s focus is to design, promote, implement and evaluate youth- related health promotion programs. The CHW is expected to develop empowering and capacity building initiatives/ programs to address the determinants of health for the youth living in FHC catchment area. The youth worker is expected to be available at hours found suitable to community members /volunteers. Hours may include evenings and occasional weekends.
Term: Contract- Part Time 21 hrs/ week. June- September, 2011
Responsible to: Manager, Health Promotion
- Baccalaureate degree in a health or social science discipline from a recognized University and/or an approved equivalent of education and related experience
- Excellent written and spoken English communications skills
- Creative ability to design new initiatives
- Excellent organizational and team building skills.
- Thorough knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in the practice and application of health promotion and community development principles.
- Experience in conducting effective outreach strategies
- At least two year experience developing and implementing youth programs in a community based, interdisciplinary environment
- Experience working with youth from diverse ethnic backgrounds; a second language is a definite asset
- Demonstrated skill in grant writing and report writing skills.
- Values research and have basic research skills; literature review, focus groups, data analysis, report writing
- Excellent computer skills
- Experience in working with volunteers, networks and external partners.
- Ability to respond to changing community needs
- Initiates and participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of new youth- related programs and initiatives
- Facilitates the health centre’s current youth programs
- Acts as a resource to community groups and the health centre by developing and maintaining formal and informal networks.
- Actively conducts outreach to the community by organizing/ attending community events, promoting the centre’s programs, updating internal information boards
- Compiles data on community needs and other reporting as needed.
- Grant and report writing
- Participates in internal/ external committees
- Acts as a support and advocate for the youth in various capacities (as a facilitator, leader, reference, etc.)
- Data collection and report writing
- Supports the rest of the department’s activities as part of the health promotion team
- Health Promotion resource development
- Other related duties as assigned by the Manager
Application deadline: May 1st, 2011. Please forward resumes to Heba Sadek at firstname.lastname@example.org and mention the reference number in the subject line: #2011-02.
We thank all applicants and only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls will be accepted.